12' RV gate, wide enough?

18 replies to this topic
  • llamaface

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

I'm having a parking spot for my travel trailer (22') put in the backyard. Is a 12' wide gate going to be enough for a reasonable skilled person to put a trailer back there, or should I consider going wider?

I've been parking it in a spot where there's only 1-2" clearance between the trailer and house roof, so i'm sure anything will be an improvement over that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

I'm having a parking spot for my travel trailer (22') put in the backyard. Is a 12' wide gate going to be enough for a reasonable skilled person to put a trailer back there, or should I consider going wider?

I've been parking it in a spot where there's only 1-2" clearance between the trailer and house roof, so i'm sure anything will be an improvement over that.

It will fit fine. With a few feet on each side to spare. Next gate size is 16 feet.

• weathergeek

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

As long as your angle is not too severe backing in. I have a similar problem, but have to back the motorhome in a narrow driveway coming in from hard angle.

• llamaface

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

As long as your angle is not too severe backing in. I have a similar problem, but have to back the motorhome in a narrow driveway coming in from hard angle.

That's kinda what I was worried about. the street is pretty wide, but it'll still be starting at an angle. should be able to get it pretty well straight as it goes through the gate tho.

• rjeffery1

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

I put a double wide gate on my side yard using one of those gate kits from Home Depot. I have maybe 6" on each side backing in my WW FS2300 at an angle. You'll be fine.

• mjrfd99

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

My gate is 11 ft and I get my 30ft Fleetwood toyhauler in no problem. You have expierience w/trailers 12 ft will be plenty.

• jhendr3702

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

hey llama, i have the same set up 12' gate into my back yard and put a 30' TT in there. the hard part with mine was getting lined up on it off the street, the gate is right beside my garage entrance. a few times and i could put it in there pretty easy with no assistance.
btw
how is the collar bone healing ??
jay

• rolliew

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

i have to back in from the side street as i am on a corner lot, i had an 11.5' gate and it was lame as the trailer is 8' wide. i replaced it with 16' double gate and can easily back in (at an angle ) with out a spotter for the blind side. i am personally glad i didn't go any narrower.
Posted Image

• wakesetter5477

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Go for the 16' gate. It allows more margin for error (you will appreciate that at 1:00 in the morning when returning home after a long weekend.)

• Chickenhauler

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Your trailer is a max of 8-1/2 wide (102"), so a 12' gate should be just fine. I used to back the semi (truck and 53' trailer) off the street, through a 16' gate, then 40' to the entrance into my shop, and the door was 12' wide. About the time the trailer began to enter the building, the nose of the trailer was at the edge of the road (tractor still angled)-the building set back 50' from the roads edge.

If you have the room available, put in the widest gate you can-gates are like garages, they're never too big.

Once you get past 12' or so, use a double gate-less forces pulling on the post that way.

• nap__kxf

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

it'\ll be fine, my dad can back up our 38' 5th wheel through our 12 ft gate from our 2 lane residential street with minimal pain. its kind of a pain because our propane tank is right in the way. but everytime he does it he'll get better. so the more you go camping the better it will be, use that as justification to go riding more. :thumbsup:

• llamaface

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

Your trailer is a max of 8-1/2 wide (102"), so a 12' gate should be just fine. I used to back the semi (truck and 53' trailer) off the street, through a 16' gate, then 40' to the entrance into my shop, and the door was 12' wide.

Well sure, but you're a professional, and I'm an idiot. lol.

Seriously, thanks all for the reassurance. I could go wider than 12', but it would be significantly more money and trouble. I figure if the average person can deal with a 12' gate, then I'll have no trouble, since I am reasonably competent and backing up a trailer. Fortunately I don't have to worry about late-night crankiness. When I come home late from a trip I just park on the street and then put everything away the following day. At any rate, I don't see how it could possibly be worse and more troublesome than the current arrangement which usually requires a couple stops and adjustments to get the trailer within 2" of the roof while remaining on the concrete instead of the neighbor's lawn.

• Charles De Mar

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

I'm an idiot. lol.

You said it:p

• pfunk

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

can you disasemble the exhisting fence and do a practise run?, Im on a corner lot also and Im going to chalk in a area since the fence will be very close to the road (within the easement) and make sure I have enough room to back in the biggest trail I will ever own and with the biggest vehical. backing in a 5th/goose is a lot easier then a tongue/really short trailer

• llamaface

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

can you disasemble the exhisting fence and do a practise run?, Im on a corner lot also and Im going to chalk in a area since the fence will be very close to the road (within the easement) and make sure I have enough room to back in the biggest trail I will ever own and with the biggest vehical. backing in a 5th/goose is a lot easier then a tongue/really short trailer

Since I'm lame with a hammer and saw, and since my collarbone is jacked up right now, I'm having a landscape guy do the work (as we speak), so it's not really feasible to do a practice run. The comments I've gotten so far have caused me to feel pretty confident.

• Chickenhauler

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:27 AM

Well sure, but you're a professional, and I'm an idiot. lol.

Post saved for posterity.:thumbsup:

• pfunk

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

Post saved for posterity.:thumbsup:

you should put it in your sig

• Chickenhauler

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

you should put it in your sig

I'm a smartass, not a sadist.:thumbsup:

• tomsdumas

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:49 AM

gofor the 16'- nice to have xtra space in case!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.