Supercross

NASCAR buys AMA Pro Racing!!!

28 replies to this topic
  • zig06

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:36 AM

http://www.cyclenews...eadlineID=12011

Everything but Supercross and Arenacross.

Maybe now more riders will rethink their Supercross only contracts!

• wakeridero87

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:44 AM

Wow that is big news, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

I'm optimistic, maybe they can turn MX into something really big.

• lukaitis9

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:44 AM

March 07, 2008

AMA selects Daytona Motorsports Group to manage professional racing series
- press release -

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.--The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced today that the Association has entered into an agreement in principle to sell the sanctioning, promotional and management rights for its AMA Pro Racing properties to the Daytona Motorsports Group (DMG), based in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Led by Roger Edmondson, the founder of the CCS motorcycle racing series and currently the President of the Grand American Road Race Series LLC, and Jim France, Vice Chairman/Executive Vice President of NASCAR, DMG will assume responsibility for the AMA Superbike Series, the AMA Motocross Series, the AMA Flat Track Series, the AMA Supermoto Series, the AMA Hillclimb Series and ATV Pro Racing. The agreement in principle does not include the AMA Supercross and AMA Arenacross Series, the rights to which are held by Live Nation. Daytona Motorsports Group will license the use of the AMA name and trademarks to promote their motorcycle racing activities.

"For as long as I can remember, the AMA name has been synonymous with professional motorcycle racing in America," said France. Added Edmondson, "Our goal is to guide the sport into the mainstream of American culture and showcase the extraordinary abilities of the competitors and their teams."

"We are honored to be working with the Daytona Motorsports Group," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "This group of individuals has supported the AMA and motorcycle racing for decades. There isn't a better-resourced or more qualified entity in which to entrust the future of AMA Pro Racing."

The agreement between the AMA and DMG came as a result of an RFP (request for proposal) process undertaken by the AMA in September, 2007 to seek promotional partners for its professional racing series. The AMA will continue sanctioning amateur motorcycle racing and club activities.

"Today is a great day for professional motorcycle racing and for the AMA," Dingman said. "By placing AMA Pro Racing in the hands of people with a proven record of excellence in motor sports organization and promotion in a fashion similar to our successful partnership with Live Nation, the AMA will be able to focus its resources on its core mission to be a member advocacy organization."

• Wil482senior

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:56 AM

So, with AMA also removing Steve Whitelock from running AMA pro motocross, and now NASCAR getting involved, will this mean fewer stupid rules and random enforcement (like the illegal fuel fiasco), or more?

Seeing how NASCAR has been clamping down on drivers who do anything aggressive, or even speak freely during interviews (the first rule of NASCAR is, don't question NASCAR!), how would they handle riders like Jason Lawrence, Tyler Evans?

• cryzrider

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:07 AM

This is a quandry for me. I hate the AMA and it's stupid rules, but NASCAR as well for the stupid COT and what I think are pre arranged winners. It probably won't get any better, but it could get a lot worse. Imagine leading throughout the season and building up a good lead and all of a sudden all of your hard earned points are gone and some bozo back in 10th can win the championship. Imagine RC having a close to perfect season outdoors and the points are taken away for the big new final run, but he has a DNF in one moto and loses it to a podium chaser like Windham or Reed.:thumbsup:
Craigus

• MaddogYZ

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I really don't see a change in the racing structure and rules very much. The biggest thing is going to be the financial backing for promotion of motorcycle racing. It's hard to imagine things getting worse than what Whitelock has done, hopefully DMG doesn't get all crazy and make goofy points rules, I really don't see it going there. Maybe they'll change class names so they making f$*%ing sense to the normal public!!

• Holigan

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:35 AM

from Cycle News:

INDUSTRY NEWS - Will Daytona Group Keep Properties?
By Henny Ray Abrams
More Groups 3/7/2008

The Daytona Motorports Group (DMG) won the bidding for all AMA Pro Racing properties except for Supercross, but will they keep them? Probably not.

A source with knowledge of the agreement said the plan was for the DMG to sublet most of the properties, while retaining hands-on control of just Superbike.

The group most likely to get the motocross nationals is the National Promoters Group (NPG), which was one of the most prominent bidders, along with Youthstream, the organizers of the Motocross World Championships.

The Daytona group may have wanted to keep motocross, but their plans conflicted with the AMA’s Supercross contract with Live Nation, which runs through 2019. The plan under consideration was to run motocross races at NASCAR Sprint Cup facilities, but a clause in the AMA’s contract with Live Nation prevents anyone from promoting motocross races in facilities with more than 32,000 fixed seats.

Rumors continue to persist that the entire Live Nation motorsports group, including Supercross, is for sale, though Live Nation principals will vehemently deny them. If, in fact, it is for sale, the Daytona group would certainly be interested.

The Illinois Motorcycle Dealers Association (IMDA), which promotes dirt tracks in the Midwest, has been mentioned as a possible winner of the flat track series. Jim France, one of the leaders of the DMG group, is an avid dirt track fan-he’s a regular at the Daytona short tracks-and would like to see the sport grow. There’s been talk of promoting at least two dirt tracks on the same weekend as NASCAR Sprint Cup races.

“I’m encouraged that the Daytona group has taken over control of the AMA racing properties and I look forward to what they can do with flat track,” seven-time AMA Grand National Champion Chris Carr said, “because if any group understands the potential for growth in our sport, they’re the ones would could take the ball and run with it.”

• lastoneup56

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:19 AM

Not sure if I should be happy about this or not..I am looking forward to seeing how the new changes go about.

• Supafreak_711

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Better brush up on their left turns! :thumbsup:

• MX_SX_fan

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:13 AM

The changes will be, in the end, more of your money INTO their pockets!

We call it NASCRAP for a reason, now we will have MotoCrapX also.

Everything nowadays is about "advertising dollars", "revenue streams" and
"product deployment".

I like MX the way it is. Still about racing... once the money gets involved it will all be fuXored :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sprint4425

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:32 AM

great..now the sport will attract rednecks like white on rice. I have always compared factory race bikes with indy cars or F1 cars, NOT stock cars. Unfortunately clear channel productions cares more about money than anything else and sells our sport toe same crowd that NASCAR has.

Dont get me wrong, fans are fans no matter what racing series you are talking about, which is great. But every time i hear a die hard NASCAR fan trying to argue with somebody about how much more engineering goes into a NASCAR than an indy or F1 car i just cringe and walk away.

It makes me mad that the amount of engineering, testing and not to mention the physical demands required to race these bikes is matched only by the indy racing league within the united states, yet when you go to a mx or sx race every year 80%+ of the crowd is just there "to see dem crazzyy bikes go fest". A lot of people cant appreciate what goes into making the bikes and teams so competitive.

Now its only going to get worse.

sorry for my rant..just my $.02

• yzjay

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:56 AM

yeah i am not sure about this either. my guess is it will be bad.

• IKE607

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:03 PM

Wow. I'm with those that don't know what to say about this one. I guess time will tell if it's good or bad for the sport. I know one thing, there isn't much we can do to change it........:thumbsup:

• Johnyb

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:33 PM

Maybe we will start seeing "Coors light or Bud" sponsored graphic kits!:thumbsup:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• El Marko

Posted March 07, 2008 - 02:40 PM

The real question is whether it's possible for any organization to be WORSE than the AMA at running pro races?

And if the Promoters group ends up owning the outdoor series, that will mean no new National tracks in the forseeable future.

• cryzrider

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Please don't put the IRL in the same league as Formula 1. The IRL is lame and only survived because Tony George has the Indianapolis track and lots of money. At least the Champ Cars were still running turbos and better chassis. Other than that I agree with what you're saying. When asked how it felt going around the famed Indy track in an F1 car felt like Jaque Villenueve(spelling) said"once you've gone around here in a champ car it just isn't the same" he was talking about before they slowed them down as in much lower boost levels. Check out the link to this and the lap record at Fontana when Cart cars were arguably the fastest. If the average was 241 how fast were the straights? It sure sounds good too and much better than IRL.
Craigus

• racer 813

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:21 PM

Better brush up on their left turns! :thumbsup:

Good one:thumbsup: beat me to it:worthy:

• brakkeman

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:55 PM

thank god u didnt get don Luongo and the youthstream mafia...

• NFS179

Posted March 07, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Please don't put the IRL in the same league as Formula 1. The IRL is lame and only survived because Tony George has the Indianapolis track and lots of money. At least the Champ Cars were still running turbos and better chassis. Other than that I agree with what you're saying. When asked how it felt going around the famed Indy track in an F1 car felt like Jaque Villenueve(spelling) said"once you've gone around here in a champ car it just isn't the same" he was talking about before they slowed them down as in much lower boost levels. Check out the link to this and the lap record at Fontana when Cart cars were arguably the fastest. If the average was 241 how fast were the straights? It sure sounds good too and much better than IRL.
Craigus

wow, i never really knew the difference between CART and Indy cars. That is INSANE! Well as they say, you learn something new every day.

I think the improved exposure of the sport will be good, but as someone has said, once money gets involved it all goes down hill. Pretty soon they are gonna want restrictor plates on MX bikes :thumbsup:

• ndyz250F

Posted March 07, 2008 - 05:50 PM

I dont know if i read right...but i think i just read that if it werent for some live nation media contract, this new nascar group would have tried to bring outdoor motocross to nascar stadiums. That would be sad, its all about the real tracks, the dust, camping chairs and the portable grill.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

2015 Supercross TV Package with Fox Sports by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Adam Cianciarulo where is he? by jonsdad

• Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

JS7 drug exemption by yamahakid88

• Hot  97 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Why Don't These Riders Have A Ride? by 88YZ125

• Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Stewart out of MEC by poldies4

• 13 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.