stator upgrade & wiring question

3 replies to this topic
  • KTMBlake

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:00 PM

Fixing up a '92 XR600R, and part of the project will include a 200w Ricky stator and a BD or Trick dualsport kit. The stator, of course...is to help with things like heated grips and a vest plugin (good stuff to have in Colorado high country riding).
I have not dug into the bike yet - it's on a stand in a corner of the garage.
I am drawing a blank on where I'll plug this stuff into. I'm used to SAE pigtails attached to a real battery on bikes like a DR or KLR, and I'm likely to have a dinky kit battery.....so I'm wondering if there's a wiring block, and how I'll make the connections.

• cleonard

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:10 PM

Well there is not much existing wiring. Just the bare minimum. You are going to need to add most everything. Most dual sport kits put stuff by the headlight and under the seat. There isn't much room.

Where to put the battery is the biggest issue. There just isn't room anywhere for a decent sized one. Most dual sport kits use a 10 cell nicad pack that is only good for about 1 amp hour.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:17 PM

Depending on what kind of voltage the accessories need(most likely 12v DC), you may need to tap into the/a voltage regulator output.

• KTMBlake

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:27 AM

Depending on what kind of voltage the accessories need(most likely 12v DC), you may need to tap into the/a voltage regulator output.

I had a Trick d/s kit on my 520 MXC, and it had a 12v accessory tap, but it was really made for low draw items like GPS, etc. Plus, that's an e-start bike that came with a battery -ie, a place for a pigtail. I know a kit for a kickstart bike will have a minimal NiCad battery - likely mounted behind the headlight w/ the box.

That was the basic question - where to put a wiring tap for say, an SAE pigtail and/or the wires for gripheaters and such.

I know where the electronics box will be, and there's no mystery about the d/s kit....but I've seen enough XR's with aux lighting and grip heaters and such after putting on the big stator, that I just had to wonder out loud where these connections are made! I figured it would be at/near the regulator, but haven't seen mention (or pictures) of a terminal/fuse block anywhere like people use for accessories on bikes with standard electrical systems.

Looks like this pdf on the Baja Designs site answers most of my questions...

http://www.bajadesig...d style dsk.pdf

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.