Just Picked up an '06 YZ450F

14 replies to this topic
  • angrybob

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:16 PM

After years of an '00 426 and a couple months of playing on an '05 YZ250, I just landed an '06 YZ450F in the garage. The kid I bought it off of was a tool. Fueling was all wrong and the suspension damping and rebound were 'turned off' :ride: if that were possible. Bottom line is that I am going to do a full service to the bike, including greasing all the bearings (triples, swingarm, etc.) and checking the valves to have some knowns. I'm not a racer, just a weekend warrior out to have fun...and be a little faster than my riding buddies.:thumbsup: :eek: :D

Its pretty much a stocker with some bling like a sub-mount Scott's damper system and the Boysen AP cover (both coming off). I have never ridden with a damper before and don't know if it makes a difference in the desert trails (washes and single track technical stuff). I'm going to get the bike set up and then ride for a month or so without it...then install it to see if I can feel a difference. If not, it will get sold.

Tonight I am starting the process of the labor of love. I got the carb off to UPS and on the way to ziptyracing.com for the carb mod 'kit' (the $160 version). I was undecided until the plastic hot-start cable nut snapped uff during disassembly. Heh - now its an easy decision. I'm doing this because I know the previous owner was messing with the carb and I want to have the pro's go through it. I'm decent at jetting, but as I become older time is more valuable and jetting on the trail doesn't seem fun any more. It may still need some jetting, but it will be pretty damn close.

I've also decided not to send the forks or the shock out for revalving yet. I've read great things about the capability of the stock system so I plan on spending some time with the adjustments to see if I can tune them to my liking. This is a helluva lot easier than messing with jetting. If I have the time, I'll probably swap out fork seals and oil just because.

As for the rest:

Devol skid plate & frame guards on the way
MRD-Racing full exhaust system with S/A (S/A req'd here) on the way
IMS desert tank on the way
New chain & gearing on the way - 13/53
Cycra pro-bends just installed
Magnetic oil drain plug (from zipty)
Hour meter on the way
Gripper seat cover on the way
Dunlop 739's on the way
Rekluse z-start pro likely will be ordered tomorrow

All of the above except the full exhaust system & carb mod kit are things that I have done to my 426 and I am very pleased with those add-ons. TT was an excellent resource with the AP set-screw, JamesNOW mod, and the '01 clutch upgrade. I know, I should just ride the thing, but I have some down time at the moment with business travel so what better time to order stuff. Besides, the bike with the list above (less the rubber) will total about $5200.

Anything I'm missing??? Yeah, I know I kinda shot the wad but its fun. Now if I only get a smokin' deal on an 18" rear wheel for better desert rubber selection.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Trust me on this: The Scotts damper is NOT bling. What you should do instead is to ride with it in place for a month and then remove it. You won't be able to put it back on fast enough.

13/53 gearing is too low for the desert, IMO, especially since you plan on a Rekluse.

And unless you are planning to ride dirt packed as hard as concrete, don't use the 739 front.

My two cents.

• angrybob

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:01 PM

Trust me on this: The Scotts damper is NOT bling. What you should do instead is to ride with it in place for a month and then remove it. You won't be able to put it back on fast enough.

13/53 gearing is too low for the desert, IMO, especially since you plan on a Rekluse.

And unless you are planning to ride dirt packed as hard as concrete, don't use the 739 front.

My two cents.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that I have a new 14 tooth front sprocket on the shelf to give me some flexibility. I'll take your advice with the Scotts.

I've been using the Cheng Shin C755 on my 426 for years with decent results. As hard and rocky as the gorund is here, its just not worth spending the $$$ on rubber. Everything I have tried chunks away. The only thing that has held up as well is the Maxxis.

I'm going to give Dunlop a try as I get great pricing through work. My order will be placed on Monday. Have you (or anyone) tried the 745 front for desert?

Anyway, thanks again.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:53 PM

If you didn't get the manual with the damper, go to Scotts and download one. The Scotts has both a high and low speed adjustable damping valving, and adjustable sweep.

When it's working as intended, you don't even know it's there. When you ride the same bike without one, then you see what it was doing.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:00 PM

The Scotts damper was one of the best things I ever installed on my bike. It has saved me a few times in the desert and on rocky single track. When I first installed it my friend whose been riding for 35 years made fun of it. He said it was just a waste. He finally bought a newer used bike that already had one installed. He couldn't believe what he was missing all these years.

I run 13/50 for tight single track, 14/50 for all around use, and 15/50 in the desert. Here's an Excel based gearing calculator program. You will need to change all the values in the pink column. Look in your manual for the tranny ratios.
http://www.4strokes....earing_calc.xls

When I bought my YZ426F used and it had the original 739 front still in excellent condition the first thing I did was throw it in the garbage where it belongs. Destry Abbott who's a pro desert racer likes the 745 front and 739A/T rear combo.
http://destryabbott....?showtopic=1201

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have 13/53 gearing on my 01 426 and trust me, For desert it is way too low. Top speed is 50 max and gears are very short. It will do roll on wheelies through every gear though.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:20 PM

In the interest of complete accuracy, a 426 has a lower primary reduction ratio than the '05 and later models, which means the rear gearing is not directly comparable. A 426 with 14/49 is about like an '06 with a 13/49.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • angrybob

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:42 AM

I have a '00 426 as well and the gearing right now is 14/52 and for my riding terrain and style, it seems to work well. There are very few places to actually open the bike up. Its all single track and two trackers that wind through the desert. Of course the washes have opportunities, but even then the straightaways are fairly short.

I'm not sure I've had my 426 pinned yet where we currently ride.

A point I needed to consider which I had not was the Rekluse. No doubt that I can go with lower reduction.

Thanks for the calculator speedracer.

Plugging in the numbers for my 426 with 14/52 and the 450F, it looks like the first trial will be with a 13/50. I have a new 50 from my yz250 that fits. The 14/53 is similar, but unnecessary weight (maybe the 53 will go back). I'll adjust from there.

• Wiz636

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:59 AM

That is the gospel truth!

You are going pretty low on the gearing and may want to re-think that, especially if you get a Rekluse. Stock gearing is 13/49.

• angrybob

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:53 PM

Just wanted to state that you guys were right on the gearing. I have a 13/50 right now and its almost perfect. I will likely stick with it or go one up in the rear sprocket when its time to replace the gearing set.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Saved me $40 as I returned the 53.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:35 AM

How did your carb come out from Zipty?

• angrybob

Posted April 10, 2008 - 12:00 PM

How did your carb come out from Zipty?

Its a little difficult to answer right now. This weekend will be the first ride with everything completely sorted...or at least as intended. The spring from the hot start plunger was missing and I think it was moving when I would start it. I needed a new spring and plunger which had to be ordered.

Sometimes it was a first kick machine and sometimes it would not start w/o adding throttle while kicking like a two-stroke. Last night I got all the parts and back together, except for the the air filter cleaning.

I made the mistake of not checking the jetting as received from zipty (meaning my original jetting as they do not touch the jetting any more). I found a 48 pilot jet installed. Don't know how much that will matter, but it did seem to run lean at idle. Installed a 45 last night.

I'll fire it up tonight and see how things go. I'll be riding all weekend as the wife took the kids to Florida for a week. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused:

At speed, this thing screams and the fueling is perfect. ZT recommended a 165 main and 45 pilot and that I bump up to a 168 main when the blazing temps hit. I picked up the 168 jet, but I'm going to wait and see.

I'm hoping that the fueling is finally good. I actually think that the previous owner sold it for this reason. It ran like shit and he had no clue what to do.

• grunkthump

Posted April 10, 2008 - 12:10 PM

usually when warmer temps hit you DROP down the mj size...NOT raise it!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:30 PM

ZT recommended a 165 main and 45 pilot and that I bump up to a 168 main when the blazing temps hit. I picked up the 168 jet, but I'm going to wait and see.

Interesting recommendation, since an increase in temperature requires a reduction in jet size, and running richer than stoichiometric does not make an 4-stroke run any cooler.

• angrybob

Posted April 11, 2008 - 05:29 AM

What I wrote was totally ass backwards. No idea why. My apologies for any confusion...but I may have been the only one confused at that moment:cry: . With as well as it runs on a 165 at WOT now (and a nice brown spark plug), I may not have to go up at all when it gets cold out given the time of day when we ride.

As for the looming summer inferno, yeah I may have to drop a little.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.