Spark Arrestor Effects

20 replies to this topic
  • 450_gal

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:55 PM

Will adding a spark arrestor to my 2004 YZ450 make it harder to kick?

I've heard from different people that spark arrestors rob power and make it harder to get a bike started.

What's your experience?

• KAS

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:58 PM

There wont be any noticeable difference.

I put a Pro Moto Billet s/a endcap on my stock muffler and it affect anything.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:25 PM

do the stock yz 450s specifically 07 have a spark arrestor or any kind of baffle??
because i always take the baffle/arrestor out of my play bikes but i have never been sure about my 450

• KAS

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:28 PM

do the stock yz 450s specifically 07 have a spark arrestor or any kind of baffle??
because i always take the baffle/arrestor out of my play bikes but i have never been sure about my 450

No, they don't. Its a straight-through design muffler.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:06 PM

Will adding a spark arrestor to my 2004 YZ450 make it harder to kick?

I've heard from different people that spark arrestors rob power and make it harder to get a bike started.

What's your experience?

I use DRD pipes on both of mine and I use the sparky only when I need it. Part of when I need it is during desert races when a tech inspection is actually done. I can't say that there is any noticeable difference with or without it.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:37 AM

Mostly it will save your ass. By that I mean when the ranger rolls up on you it will be saving you a few hundred bucks, your weekend will not be shot, and you wont have to push your bike back to the truck. I learned all of that the hard way.

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:32 AM

A decently designed USFS approved spark arrestor will not hinder the bike's performance (or at least not enough to notice). I shouldn't have any effect on starting the bike either.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:41 AM

I shouldn't have any effect on starting the bike either.

Well, no, I guess not. I mean, you're 2800 miles away. :thumbsup:

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:35 AM

Well, no, I guess not. I mean, you're 2800 miles away. :thumbsup:

:eek: :D :ride:

• 06crf_er

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:38 AM

I also have the PMB endcap with removable spark arrestor and there's no noticeable affect on the bike's performace or startability(is that a word:busted:). It looks nice and makes me legal for the trails:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • USED YZ426F

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Well, no, I guess not. I mean, you're 2800 miles away. :eek:

Dang proof reader...... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Sorry...:eek:

I couldn't help myself. :thumbsup:

• Whyzee429

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:26 AM

i have a PMB end cap and it hasn't changed anything....even with the screen in

• TooFast

Posted March 07, 2008 - 12:46 PM

Our two stroke screen types would eventually plug up and wouldn't run on the top end.

Only seen one problem on a 4 stroke when the perforated tube broke up and collected on the screen with the packing

• vw127

Posted March 07, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Do you have to change jetting with the Pro Moto s/a end cap, and how much quieter is it going to be? I need to be at or below 96db, with my 07 yz450. I think the magazines say it already is, but the track I joined say everyone needs to be quiet!!! I'm fine with that:thumbsup: just looking for the right alternative than purchasing a new slip-on because as soon as I spend the hundreds I will prob thrash it :thumbsup:

Steve

• mutt2jeff

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I put a PMB arrestor on my 02 426 a couple weeks ago, sound difference is not much, maybe a db or two. You can also pick up a silencer to fit your arrestor for and extra $40 or so though.

• KAS

Posted March 07, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Do you have to change jetting with the Pro Moto s/a end cap, and how much quieter is it going to be? I need to be at or below 96db, with my 07 yz450. I think the magazines say it already is, but the track I joined say everyone needs to be quiet!!! I'm fine with that:thumbsup: just looking for the right alternative than purchasing a new slip-on because as soon as I spend the hundreds I will prob thrash it :thumbsup:

Steve

No jetting changes needed.

Not quieter, either. Heck if anything, mine got louder because the outlet is larger diameter than the stock end cap.

They do sell a quiet insert that goes on the end of the PMB cap, basically all it does is direct the exhaust straight down so it sounds a little more quiet.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Pretty surethat is aword. I also had the PMB endcap and never noticed any performance issues. I did however, get alot of crap from the guys I ride with. Put on an FMF Q4 and couldn't be happier.

• KAS

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:43 PM

Pretty surethat is aword. I also had the PMB endcap and never noticed any performance issues. I did however, get alot of crap from the guys I ride with. Put on an FMF Q4 and couldn't be happier.

How did the Q4 affect performance? How much quieter is it over stock with the PMB cap?

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:07 AM

Stock muffler with PMB end cap and turndown (quiet tip) was as loud as stock, that's why I got so much crap from the guys I ride with. Q4 is noticably quieter. When I first got my '06, put a Q2 on it and hated it. Rode with it once and sold it because it killed the power so much. Q4, in comparison, smooths out the power and makes the bike a little more user friendly in the woods.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.