What Exhaust systems are you guys running on the 2008 yz450?

46 replies to this topic
  • IDAHOBALLER

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:48 AM

did you do any changes to jetting for this pipe?

I went up one size from stock on the pilot but the needle position and main jet are stock. It runs really good like this but it still has the 96db spark arrestor insert in it. When I take the insert out I will have to go up one on the main jet for sure though. Also I am at like 2800ft elevation and the air temperatures have been in the 40s while we were riding so my jetting may be way different than yours...

• Pappy141

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:15 AM

I'm picking up my 08 450 next week. I was going to go with the FMF slip on. From what I understand the stock silencer is what holds this bike back. Has anyone just used a slip on? Do I really need the complete system? Is the power with the pipe installed night and day different?

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:42 AM

What I have seen posted is this: Two Brothers Racing (yes, the pit bike people) built a pipe for the '08 that added 7 hp at 5000 RPM. As astounding as that seems, understand that the pipe added nothing at the power peak of 8500 or beyond that, nor does the '08 need any help there anyway. The stock dyno curve has a huge sag in it at 5000, and all the pipe did was make that look like the stock curve from an '07 with one more peak HP.

The consensus seems to be that anything you stick on the bike will do about the same thing, as people have reported big improvements in the low-mid on '08's using DRD's, FMF's of every sort, WB, Yoshimura, and even stock pipes from '06 and '07 models.

• Pappy141

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:54 AM

I don't want to get to far off subject but does anyone notice the cornering "push" on the YZ? I'm coming off a 07 Honda and just want something a little more Vet friendly powerwise with great suspension.

• Windseeker

Posted March 12, 2008 - 02:41 PM

I went up one size from stock on the pilot but the needle position and main jet are stock. It runs really good like this but it still has the 96db spark arrestor insert in it. When I take the insert out I will have to go up one on the main jet for sure though. Also I am at like 2800ft elevation and the air temperatures have been in the 40s while we were riding so my jetting may be way different than yours...

The spark arrestor you mentioned - is that a 10 cm hollow metallic tube with plastic ending that can be taken out with one allen bolt? Doesn't look like spark arrestor on my 07 WR though :thumbsup:

The thing is - the manual that came with the pipe is slightle different from the pipe enclosed. It is either printed for earlier version or different version altogether. Small staff. nothing major...

• TCCRA RACER

Posted March 12, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Push NO!! Try new tires or try setting the suspension up for your weight and abiltiy!!.. We put FMF 4.1 factory on ours!!:thumbsup:

• SM-smeden

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:12 PM

Made everything myself and still building on the bike, i can post some pics in a week or to...

• Family Man

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:45 PM

I would go with the WB Aluminum Pro. I did on my 07 yz450, paid 600 bucks out the door about a week before they went out of buisiness. There great pipes and there on clearence now. I cant say enough good things about the WB Aluminum Pro, excellant. I cant beleave that this exhaust pipe header combo doesnt come stock on the yz450, I bet it would win every single shootout in the mags.
I have also read that just about any pipe is better than the stock 08.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted March 13, 2008 - 05:54 PM

The spark arrestor you mentioned - is that a 10 cm hollow metallic tube with plastic ending that can be taken out with one allen bolt? Doesn't look like spark arrestor on my 07 WR though :thumbsup:

The thing is - the manual that came with the pipe is slightle different from the pipe enclosed. It is either printed for earlier version or different version altogether. Small staff. nothing major...

I havnt actually taken the insert out yet to inspect it, but I think you have to remove the three screws that hold on the endcap its self and then just pull it out.

My system is the comp stainless/aluminum version, I think if you have the ti or CF race system it has a different endcap setup but i am not sure.

• Windseeker

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:18 AM

I havnt actually taken the insert out yet to inspect it, but I think you have to remove the three screws that hold on the endcap its self and then just pull it out.

My system is the comp stainless/aluminum version, I think if you have the ti or CF race system it has a different endcap setup but i am not sure.

Yes - you are right - my system is Ti and probably a race one as it definitely has one screw to take the plastic end-ring-thing off...
There is a photo of my system on the floor when it arrived... in "my garage" section...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • haole450f

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:24 AM

Well if it helps at all I installed a FMF titaniuim 4.1 slip on my 2007450f and I thought it made a noticeable difference in throttle response and power increase! Depending on the money that you want to spend and just plain old preference will determine what you buy I think. But I'm happy with the purchase and also plain to install the header [megabomb] for further increase in power later.

• rbn14

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:43 AM

What I have seen posted is this: Two Brothers Racing (yes, the pit bike people) built a pipe for the '08 that added 7 hp at 5000 RPM. As astounding as that seems, understand that the pipe added nothing at the power peak of 8500 or beyond that, nor does the '08 need any help there anyway. The stock dyno curve has a huge sag in it at 5000, and all the pipe did was make that look like the stock curve from an '07 with one more peak HP.

The consensus seems to be that anything you stick on the bike will do about the same thing, as people have reported big improvements in the low-mid on '08's using DRD's, FMF's of every sort, WB, Yoshimura, and even stock pipes from '06 and '07 models.

I would have to agree. In fact, Two Brothers says in their catalog that improvements when used on the 07 are much less. I don't think the Two Brothers is anything extraordinary when it comes to power gains. But I am really impressed with quality and fit so far. And for $325 for a full Ti system, I couldn't say no!

• DPW

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:53 PM

Leo Vince, order the 2007 model it's a shorty...

Posted Image

• salasmauricio

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Pro Circuit T4, if you don`t mind being loud. Great system, great power delivery and I actually like how it sounds.

Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:40 PM

dr.d carbon

• Stepdaddy

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:16 PM

Leo Vince, order the 2007 model it's a shorty...

Posted Image

how do you like it? how $$$ if ya don't mind me asking.

• DPW

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:10 AM

how do you like it? how $$$ if ya don't mind me asking.

I still have the stocker, waiting for the tax return. I will probably go with the Leo Vince or the Akrapovic system.

I would contact the TT store and see what kind of price they can get if for.

• rickallen124

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:17 PM

rickallen, did u do any changes to jetting with Yoshi? I received Youshi RS2 2 days ago...

Windseeker, I went to a 162 main and 45 pilot for riding in 60 degree F weather with an elevation of 900ft. It's just a little richer on the main compared to the 160 but it is running really well. Last time I rode with the 165mj/48pj it was too rich in the pilot as I could screw the fuel screw all the way in without it dropping the idle. With the 162/45 it's running really clean/strong from the bottom up.

• wolfie12

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hey guys, I just got my Two Brothers System on today. I didnt really plan on getting it but it showed up at the shop, and i got a STEAL on it, so i threw it on. all i can say is WOW! What an amazing difference. If you want, go check out the 08 hop ups thread to see what else was done and will be done!

DJ

Two Bros. seems to be the best deal on the market for a full system. I just paid 400 for a full ti system...gonna run it at Southwick Sunday...can't wait.

• motox100

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:15 PM

Just picked up an 08 on Friday and rode it Sat. stone stock... bottom end needs a little help. Today I went out again and put the stock silencer off my 07 on the 08, made a big difference...much better. I also tested my Dr D exhaust from my 07 which gave it a even bit more, but with just the tail end off the 07 was a serious improvement.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.