Ok, Im an idiot, what should I do?

3 replies to this topic
  • vw127

Posted March 06, 2008 - 04:13 PM

07 yz450 Ok, I ran my bike to warm it up for an oil change (45 degree's in NY today) and it was fine(had to rip it down the road) so I go to drain the oil on the left side of the motor, and the oil is coming out slow, so I take off the oil fill plug. I decide to take out the dipstick in the front of the engine (bike was power washed after last ride) and there was a small amount of dirt near the dipstick. Yup you guessed it I flung it with a wrench (away from the opened fill hole) and some how it bounced of from the frame and fell right in the fill hole!!:ride: :lol: :thumbsup: :D *** is pretty much what I said when it happened, I can see the clump of mud, the size of a gumball sitting there tempting me to try and get it out. I figured needle nose pliers would make it crumble, so I grabed the shopvac and start suckin. Of corse I didn't empty the vac before using it and after sucking the open hole there is nomore dirt clump there. I don't know if I got it:confused: So I take a fresh quart of oil and dump it in and open the other drain plug on the right side and hope to doush it out. I didn't see any clumps, but I still want to take of the cover and clean it out, any recommendations on what else I should do??:eek: Thanks, I am hopeing it's cool, but don't want to f-up the motor, any info would be great:thumbsup:

steve
ps, always leave no place for dirt to enter a motor!!!!

• the1_roadrunner

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:08 PM

I would say.... shoot pool this weekend...... and bet heavy....lol

It sounds like you answered your own question. You sucked er outta there. If not I would think the lil mudball would soon be reduced to whatever type dirt particles you have there and then be caught in the oil filter. Maybe some back to back oil/filter changes just to be sure. Just my 2 cents. --RR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ProjectDIRT

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:26 PM

yea just take the cover off. its not hard.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:53 PM

I once had a pile of shaved aluminum from a loose screw in my Rekluse. I took out all the drain plugs and ran a bunch of mineral spirits through it, just to flush it all out. Then I filled it with some cheap oil, ran it for a minute or two and drained it all out. Then I filled it with my regular oil, went for a ride, changed it again and called it good. Seemed to work good for me. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.