another valve clearance question on 426 ...

6 replies to this topic
  • spc mike

Posted March 06, 2008 - 01:19 PM

i checked my valves about 10 min ago because i wasnt to assured that i did it right last time and iam going to pismo for spring break and i want it to be in top operating order, but on the intake side i measured .102 mm...and i know thats almost to the edge of its acceptable range(.10-.15) But my question is do you think they would of been around that range from the factory?(currently still factory shims in my bike) and would you reccomend going down a shim size to get near the middle of the reccomended range? if i went down a shim it would be 185's for all three intake's...and thats coming down from a 190,190,189 size shims currently. so pretty much what would you guys reccomend? :thumbsup:

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted March 06, 2008 - 01:21 PM

if you're swapping out other shims then why not?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 01:37 PM

... on the intake side i measured .102 mm...

Then you should leave them alone. The specification states that if a valve has clearance between .10-.15mm, it is as it should be. That includes valves that have either .10 or .15mm exactly, too.

For one thing, our English unit minds get far to wrapped up in the whole thing without realizing that the total tolerance range of .05mm is not quite .002" (0.00196"). The middle of that is only 1 thousandth of an inch different from either end.

And for another, the reason you found them both that way is more than likely because that's exactly where they were set when they left the factory. Yamaha deliberately sets up the valve clearance as near the low end of the tolerance as they can to improve the operation of the valve train, even using shims in .01mm increments to do it. Your bike is fine. Cover it back up and give it a hug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spc mike

Posted March 06, 2008 - 02:11 PM

you always know how to make me feel better gray racer...:thumbsup:

• stroker yz426

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:22 PM

its a little off subject, but since this post was involving valves, i just figured id throw my question in.

did any of the yz400f or yz426f come with titanium valves in them?

• 642MX

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:18 PM

its a little off subject, but since this post was involving valves, i just figured id throw my question in.

did any of the yz400f or yz426f come with titanium valves in them?

98-00 models had SS valves from the factory, 2001-2008 have Ti valves.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted March 11, 2008 - 11:15 AM

Cover it back up and give it a hug.

where is the 'Post of the day' thread?

ha ha:busted: :thumbsup: :eek:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.