Handlebar width.

4 replies to this topic
  • Jim_Patterson

Posted October 31, 2002 - 02:20 PM

Three weekends ago I went riding at a new Michigan trail recommended to me. It was very tight single track and at one point I came to two trees that seemed incredibly close together. At this point I was riding alone with no one near me so I played it cautious. As I closed in on these trees I decided to stop and measure the handlebar clearance. It was less that 4 finger widths on each side (I have barkbusters that add 1/2" per side.. Have you guys found many situations like this? HOW MANY OF YOU TRIM YOUR HANDLE BARS, AND TO WHAT WIDTH? It was a grest trail but I wonder if I should consider slightly narrower bars.

• machoman_#618

Posted October 31, 2002 - 02:28 PM

Jim ,try some renthal stock yz80 bars.Its close to 29 inches with bark busters.The best thing is you don't have to cut anything and everything fits back on perfect!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted October 31, 2002 - 02:32 PM

My friends and I ride in single track that sometimes requires stopping and putting your bars through the trees one side at a time. We all pretty much have 30" to 31" bar widths to the outsides of the bark busters. If you are going to enjoy the fun of ripping through the tight trails you may want to invest in some good aftermarket handlebars.One of the guys went to 28" and the bike is not much fun to ride on open fireroads and the bark busters were a pain to fit. My .02 --- WR Dave. <font color="black">

• levy1

Posted October 31, 2002 - 02:54 PM

I have been studying this issue for a while trying to build my new Scotts dampener, bars and triple clamp setup. You can download the specifications of any bar on the Web. Most bars are 32 inches or 31 and ½. You can find some narrower bars also. I have been told to stay with 32 if I am going to do any high speed ridding. They say narrower bars are less stable.

• x2smoker

Posted November 02, 2002 - 05:00 AM

We have some trails here that are very tight. Either you need to stop and take it through one bar at a time or twist the bars just before your hand gets smacked. It is very technical, but practice "twisting" your way through. Don't need to be in the tight woods for practice, just use small sapling along the trail, just before clipping them with the bark buster (I don't use them), a quick lean and twist, and plant the bar just on the back side on the sapling.

I don't know if this is a "sanctioned" technique, just how I developed it over years of woods riding.

Good Luck!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.