Re usable oil filters

17 replies to this topic
  • jrny426

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hey
I was wondering the average opinion on thse things was..
i have one in my 426 and and have no issues..now I have 07 450 and the Yammy dealer says not to use them ..is this so they can sell more OEM filters or do they have a legitimate claim,(something about flow rates).

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:21 AM

First, I have to ask whether you are certain that you have a re-usable filter or one of the OEM brass screen types. The brass filters were superseded by the fiber (paper) type in '03, and are not truly reusable because they are too delicate to hold up under repeated cleanings without sections of the screen being opened up. They also cannot filter very well, no finer than 80 microns or so.

The Scotts stainless steel mesh filters are a much tougher filter. At one point, I ha done that was 4 years old, and when I last had it tested, it was still not allowing 34 micron particles to pass. I personally will not use any of the cheaper "copy cats".

As far as flow, one inch square of the mesh used in Scotts filters will flow 1.9 gallons of 90 weight oil per minute at only 1 psi pump pressure @ 70 degrees F. The YZ filter has about 16 square inches of filter media in it, which would figure out to 30 gpm. If you cut that to 20 gpm to allow for the pleated construction, it's still faster than a typical gas pump, and the oil pump in your bike will never be able to match that rate. Remember, we are talking about cold 90wt. "Paper" filters, on the other hand, will usually flow so poorly when cold that the bypass valve at the filter base normally opens on a cold start, leaving you temporarily without a filter.

In the particular case of Ready Racing filters, the cover they are shipped with does have smaller oil drill ways in it than the OEM cover, and that may be what they meant by "issues with flow".

IMO, the Scotts is simply a better filter than paper, although the ideal thing would be to have one of each in series. The Scotts first to absolutely stop everything larger than 34 microns, and then a paper filter to catch some of the finer stuff. There is a legitimate argument as to which is the better filtration scheme, though.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• jrny426

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanx GR
I have Ready Racing the 426,I havn't seen Scotts where I shop but should be no big deal find.Too bad those covers don't fit they look coolas

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:35 AM

The Ready filter "seems" to be OK if you use it with the OEM cover, but as I say, I don't trust them completely.

• Markopolo400

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:24 PM

The Ready filter "seems" to be OK if you use it with the OEM cover, but as I say, I don't trust them completely.

At least with my 1999 YZ400F engine, the Ready Racing SS filter does not work with the OEM cover.

• 642MX

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:15 PM

The Ready filter "seems" to be OK if you use it with the OEM cover

Is there a difference in the covers?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Yes. First, it lacks the tab extending from the center oil port that prevents the filter from being installed backward, so naturally, people do actually put the filter in backward and cut of the flow of oil to their engine.

Secondly, the oil passages in the cover are smaller that the stock one.

• 642MX

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:05 AM

Yes. First, it lacks the tab extending from the center oil port that prevents the filter from being installed backward, so naturally, people do actually put the filter in backward and cut of the flow of oil to their engine.

Secondly, the oil passages in the cover are smaller that the stock one.

I see. I have 2 of them. Both of them leak, even with new O-rings. I contacted Ready, and they told me to send them back for replacements. I'm not sure if they had machined the outer O-ring position too deep, but it appears like they did. Anyways, I'm suppose to get some free air filters for my trouble.

I may just use the stock covers, but I like the black ones. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:38 AM

That's another issue. You aren't the first one to complain of a leak there, and apparently the problem is that the groove is cut wrong, just as you said.

Double check on using the stock cover. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether it works or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • USED YZ426F

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:03 AM

I may just use the stock covers, but I like the black ones. :thumbsup:

A can of Krylon will make the stock cover black.

• 642MX

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:55 AM

A can of Krylon will make the stock cover black.

True.

• 642MX

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:57 AM

That's another issue. You aren't the first one to complain of a leak there, and apparently the problem is that the groove is cut wrong, just as you said.

Double check on using the stock cover. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether it works or not.

I'll take a good look at the filter before I put the stock cover back on. Ready told me it would be okay to use their filter with the stock cover, but who knows....

• Ga426owner

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:05 AM

I have both Scotts and a CRT oil filters - they both work great and reclean reinstall no problem

• trailsweep

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:04 AM

I'll take a good look at the filter before I put the stock cover back on. Ready told me it would be okay to use their filter with the stock cover, but who knows....

I'm using the stock cover with the their filter and it does work, by the way do you call them to get the new cover?

• 642MX

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'm using the stock cover with the their filter and it does work, by the way do you call them to get the new cover?

I emailed them. Good to know about the filter, thanks

• TobyB

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Grayracer,
I am going to get a Scotts soon based on your recommendation. What is your process for cleaning it and how often, every oil change or certain hours?
Thanks
Toby

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Scotts says on their web site:

Simply remove the filter, rinse in clean solvent and replace it, you're done. The filter can be cleaned with solvent, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner, or any other degreasing agent, even common dish soap. You can even blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen if you so desire

I use solvent (mineral spirits), then carb cleaner, then air.

I hold the filter by its ends so as to keep the solvent in the tank from entering the filter without being filtered, then swish it around some. Then I spray carb cleaner through from inside to out, then blow through it with compressed air. Takes about 2 minutes.

• Whyzee429

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:22 AM

i have two friend with leaking RR covers....makes me want to try Scotts

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.