taking cases apart 06 yz 450

4 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:20 PM

well as some of you no from my last post about blowing up my 2006 yz 450 that i now have to split my cases since i need a new crank and i got metal all over the place so how hard is it to split the cases on theses bikes.

ive never split cases befor but i realy want to learn how to do a bottem end, i can do a topend but just not the bottem..

the thing im scard of is that when i split them that gears and parts are just going to start falling allover the place ( TRUE OR FALSE)

so how hard is it?

• todds924

Posted March 05, 2008 - 10:07 PM

well as some of you no from my last post about blowing up my 2006 yz 450 that i now have to split my cases since i need a new crank and i got metal all over the place so how hard is it to split the cases on theses bikes.

ive never split cases befor but i realy want to learn how to do a bottem end, i can do a topend but just not the bottem..

the thing im scard of is that when i split them that gears and parts are just going to start falling allover the place ( TRUE OR FALSE)

so how hard is it?

If you can do a top end, you can do a bottom end. Everything you need to know is in your service manual.....follow it and you will be ok. If your careful the tranny shafts will stay in the case. The hardest part of putting a bottom end together is putting the tranny shafts/ shift forks/shift drum all in the case half together..especially if you've never done it before. Everything should stay in the lefthand side of the case when you take it apart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2008 - 10:19 PM

As you split the cases apart, working from the right side, you will be able to tap each shaft toward the left case, so that the complete transmission ends up in the left case with the right side off. Otherwise, as Todd said, follow the manual, and you'll be fine.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:37 AM

thanks guys also is there any special tools i need for this job..

:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:52 AM

You will need a flywheel puller. Get the right one for it, and don't substitute anything else.

Otherwise, you won't really need anything special. If you look at the picture at the top of 4-93 in your manual, you see a puller being used to push the crank out of the main bearing. This may or may not be needed, but if it is, the puller is a common, garden variety tool that you can find anywhere, and the hardest part may actually be finding two metric bolts long enough to be used for that purpose.

The only other thing is a valve spring compressor, and if you're going to have the head gone over, you should really just let a specialty shop do that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.