426 vs 450

6 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:23 PM

So about three monthes ago i sold my yz400f and within two days i had bought a 2002 426. Now im thinking of moving on to a 450. I have heard that my bike has great power and the 450 is a little more mellow. Im probably looking at a 2003 450 in my price range so how will it compare with my 2002 426? Also, how noticble is the 4 spd compared to my 5 spd? I ride about 50/50 trails and track.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2008 - 08:16 PM

The '03 or '04 YZ450 are most definitely NOT more mellow than a 426 by any stretch. They are both very hard hitting rides. The '05 was more mellow, but was almost to the point of being dull by comparison.

The 4 speed isn't so much more limiting than the 5. If you gear both bikes for an identical low gear, the 4 speed 4th gear is about a 2/5 of the way across the gap between the 5 speed 4th and 5th.

• bhsballer76

Posted March 05, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Dont really get waht you mean about the gearing. I just want a bike feels as fast and powerful as my current 426. I just want to make sure i wont feel weird with th 4 spd.

The '03 or '04 YZ450 are most definitely NOT more mellow than a 426 by any stretch. They are both very hard hitting rides. The '05 was more mellow, but was almost to the point of being dull by comparison.

The 4 speed isn't so much more limiting than the 5. If you gear both bikes for an identical low gear, the 4 speed 4th gear is about a 2/5 of the way across the gap between the 5 speed 4th and 5th.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BASSic

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:32 AM

The four speed transmission might not be an issue depending on the type of riding you do, but if you're going to upgrade from the 426, why not go with an aluminum framed 450? You'll have a lighter bike (that allegedly handles better) and you'll get your five gears.

I have a 426, and I'm happy with it the way it is. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

• bhsballer76

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:51 AM

only looking at a 2003 450 b/c its closest to what i can afford. The newer aluminum framed bikes are not in my price range.

The four speed transmission might not be an issue depending on the type of riding you do, but if you're going to upgrade from the 426, why not go with an aluminum framed 450? You'll have a lighter bike (that allegedly handles better) and you'll get your five gears.

I have a 426, and I'm happy with it the way it is. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

• hyperlite33

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Now im thinking of moving on to a 450.

Why would you go through the whole hassle off buying and selling to only go up one year? What are you really gaining?:thumbsup:

• bhsballer76

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:27 AM

well my bike came with red excels that really dont match and i really dont want to spend the money to just buy new wheels when i can get a newer and bigger bike with wheels that match.

Why would you go through the whole hassle off buying and selling to only go up one year? What are you really gaining?:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.