Time for a new clutch?

11 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted March 05, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Today while I was out riding I noticed something. My bike accelerates great on begining to mid throtle but once I get about 2/3 throttle the bike acts like its spinning the rear tire but its not. The engine still accelerates but the bikes power slips, stops accelerating. I was wondering if I need to replace the clutch plates? What should I look for to tell if the plates are worn? I noticed that the clutch was dissengaging at the begining of the lever pull and it ussually starts about mid way from the bar. Could I put Hinson in the stock basket assumng that its still ok?

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:53 PM

How much play do you have in the cable? If you haven't done too much damage, you may be able to simply adjust it.

You can use Hinson plates with the OEM clutch hardware if it's OK. GYT-R is great stuff, too, and there's nothing really wrong with the OEM stuff either.

• yz4fun

Posted March 05, 2008 - 08:51 PM

check your clutch lever free play first and make sure you are in spec.:thumbsup:

• Family Man

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Allright I'll check the clutch lever for free play. Today is the first time I noticed this. Do you think it just got hot?

• todds924

Posted March 05, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Allright I'll check the clutch lever for free play. Today is the first time I noticed this. Do you think it just got hot?

What year 450 are we talking about here????? If its an 08 I had all kinds of trouble keeping my clutch properly adjusted when it was brand new. I could start off with 2 to 3mm of freeplay and by the end of a 15 minute moto it would be half way to the handlebar. Once it was broken in i havent had to adjust it again.

• Family Man

Posted March 05, 2008 - 10:36 PM

07. Ive never really adjusted it before, never really had to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:30 AM

You do need to keep an eye on that. Normal wear on the plates causes the free travel to diminish. If you let it run down to zero, it's exactly like pulling the clutch lever part way everywhere you go. If it's been slipping much, be sure to change your oil, too.

• BASSic

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:02 AM

My adjusters had to be set all the way out to have any reasonable clutch feel, so I assumed the cable was stretched and bought a new one. My brand new cable is exactly the same - adjusted all the way out.

Could this be a worn clutch? :thumbsup:

If it's been slipping much, be sure to change your oil, too.

Hmm, that could explain my gray oil. The odd thing is I don't feel any slippage like that mentioned in the post that started this thread.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:40 AM

As I said, worn plates reduce the free travel, forcing you to bring the adjusters in, not out. Having adjusters all the way out could mean there was a mechanical problem with the linkage, like a broken release bearing, a pressure plate worn at the center, clutch boss loose, etc.

• Family Man

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:22 AM

I just went and checked the freeplay at the lever. Like Grey thought there wasnt any, it was super tight. I loosend it up back to wear it should be, hope that fixes it. I know Ill start paying more attention to the play in the lever.

• Family Man

Posted March 06, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Does this mean that if there is still slippage with play in the lever that the clutch then needs to be replaced? If there isnt sliping with play in the lever than its probley still got life left in it?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:43 PM

First question, yes. Second question, yes, but. There is of course no way to know how much except by when it finally gives up.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.