86 XR600R Supermoto Project

11 replies to this topic
  • Rodriquez86

Posted March 05, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

I'm Roderik 21 years old from the Netherlands. I bought a 1986 XR600R Supermoto last week :eek:

I don't have a license yet (will start lessons in April, getting a license is a pita in the Netherlands also costs around $1000). So I won't be riding it for the next 3/4 months.

So I have enough time to customize it to my needs so It's 100% in the summer.

Starting Point:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought the bike with the following options:

- Supertrapp exhaust with FMF Powercore 4 Muffler (with spark arrestor)
- Akront 17 inch Supermoto wheels
- Kayaba Upside down front fork from a Kawasaki KX500, also the brake pump is from a KX500 I suspect
- Braking wave front disk
- Steel braided brake lines
- Renthal bars
- Acerbis front mudguard
- Acerbis hand guards
- Polisport front headlight
- Tecnosel seat cover

The bike runs very well and just had an oil change,valve check,new oil filter. It's just a bitch to start (not used to kickstart single cylinder bikes).

Plans I have for the bike:

- Remove all the rust from the bike and paint the bad spots
- White CR250 fairings on the back and front
- Making a bracket system so CR250 radiator guards go on the side of the tank
- Black cover for the tank
- White front fender
- New Pirelli Diablo's
- Maybe a trailtech vapor dashboard
- Make an Ignition lock
- Turn signals
- Maybe a small mirror

First step. I removed the seat and the rear fender so I could inspect the rust under the seat. It's not that bad. Bit of sanding and a touchup and its brand new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also small note I'm a graphic design student with not a lot of mechanical knowledge of engines or electric stuff so I may ask stupid questions from time to time :D

Also the bike is in the garage at my parents because I'm living in the big city and have no garage there. So won't be able to work on it every week. Progress won't be fast so please be patient :thumbsup:

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 05, 2008 - 11:13 PM

Cool... :thumbsup:

• Rodriquez86

Posted April 05, 2008 - 08:27 AM

I've put on of the rear number plates on.

Posted Image

Looks nice I think. I have to do some trimming to get it lined up with the exhaust a bit more. Ignore my wooden bracket :prof: I will make a plastic triangle that will fill up the hole next to it.

Posted Image

Also tinkered a bit with the radiator plastics. Gonna work out ok I think. Still lots of work to make it fit but its worth it.

Posted Image

Also decided to make a cover for the tank in black like this.

http://www.sablatnig...es/blauseit.jpg

That one is 80 euro incl shipping and can get in any color you want. Maybe I order one if making it myself won't work.

• CTXr650L

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:58 PM

nice ride :thumbsup: i like the rear side panels you got going on there. keep us posted. oh, hope you don't mind if i borrow some of your ideas.

• plodder

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Very nice. For starting it search the threads as there have been lots of posts for start-up advice both on here and advrider.com

• honda450rider255

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:44 PM

How do you make that tank cover thing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_RON

Posted May 16, 2008 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

I'm Roderik 21 years old from the Netherlands. I bought a 1986 XR600R Supermoto last week :rolleyes:

I don't have a license yet (will start lessons in April, getting a license is a pita in the Netherlands also costs around $1000). So I won't be riding it for the next 3/4 months.

So I have enough time to customize it to my needs so It's 100% in the summer.

Starting Point:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought the bike with the following options:

- Supertrapp exhaust with FMF Powercore 4 Muffler (with spark arrestor)
- Akront 17 inch Supermoto wheels
- Kayaba Upside down front fork from a Kawasaki KX500, also the brake pump is from a KX500 I suspect
- Braking wave front disk
- Steel braided brake lines
- Renthal bars
- Acerbis front mudguard
- Acerbis hand guards
- Polisport front headlight
- Tecnosel seat cover

The bike runs very well and just had an oil change,valve check,new oil filter. It's just a bitch to start (not used to kickstart single cylinder bikes).

Plans I have for the bike:

- Remove all the rust from the bike and paint the bad spots
- White CR250 fairings on the back and front
- Making a bracket system so CR250 radiator guards go on the side of the tank
- Black cover for the tank
- White front fender
- New Pirelli Diablo's
- Maybe a trailtech vapor dashboard
- Make an Ignition lock
- Turn signals
- Maybe a small mirror

First step. I removed the seat and the rear fender so I could inspect the rust under the seat. It's not that bad. Bit of sanding and a touchup and its brand new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also small note I'm a graphic design student with not a lot of mechanical knowledge of engines or electric stuff so I may ask stupid questions from time to time :rolleyes:

Also the bike is in the garage at my parents because I'm living in the big city and have no garage there. So won't be able to work on it every week. Progress won't be fast so please be patient :thumbsup:

I dont think thats an 86,at least the frame is not,the motor looks like it may be.

• XR_RON

Posted May 16, 2008 - 05:18 AM

I've put on of the rear number plates on.

Posted Image

Looks nice I think. I have to do some trimming to get it lined up with the exhaust a bit more. Ignore my wooden bracket :thumbsup: I will make a plastic triangle that will fill up the hole next to it.

Posted Image

Also tinkered a bit with the radiator plastics. Gonna work out ok I think. Still lots of work to make it fit but its worth it.

Posted Image

Also decided to make a cover for the tank in black like this.

http://www.sablatnig...es/blauseit.jpg

That one is 80 euro incl shipping and can get in any color you want. Maybe I order one if making it myself won't work.

No foot pegs,or rear brake pedal,or did you just take them off??

• ghrati ghoti

Posted May 16, 2008 - 05:23 AM

How do you make that tank cover thing?

I've seen some covers like that on ebay.:thumbsup:

• Rodriquez86

Posted August 05, 2009 - 12:58 PM

I thought I'd show a pic on how my bike looks now:

Posted Image

Also did a trackday with the bike about 1,5 months ago :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pics here: http://www.supermoto...ery/index_3.htm

Here's a video of the trackday:

http://www.vimeo.com/5327608

I'm passing at 17 seconds, behind the KTM every time.

• Horri

Posted August 05, 2009 - 02:30 PM

[QUOTE].. I dont think thats an 86,at least the frame is not,the motor looks like it may be.

Frame looks pretty 86 to me with a later model disc brake fitted to the rear..Forks plainly different..Tank looks 86 and the motor looks to be the same. Nice bike if you like Motards.

• tractor4play

Posted February 26, 2010 - 03:51 PM

hi rod,if you do not mind me saying..you look very cramped and uncomfortable more so on the last photo.your ass is at the back of the seat...not good while conering.i take it your well over six foot??would you not consider some suspension set up?trust me your lap times will increase two fold.please do not consider me as being rude the photos are great i am just giving you an outside opinion.best wishes tractor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.