cylinder gasket / coolant leak

No replies to this topic
  • jameskiehl

Posted March 05, 2008 - 03:26 PM

hey guys,

rebuilt my 98 WR400 last summer, took it for a couple of rides and then started losing coolant between the cylinder and the crank case. the o-rings and the coolant tube are inserted properly, but the gasket between the cylinder and crank case was stretched out around the hole for the coolant tube. is this literally a 'blown gasket', and would just that gasket deformation be enough to allow the coolant to actually drain right out?

I already dismantled the top end and am replacing the gasket (head gasket, too, just for good measure...), but i want to see if anyone has any other ieas for me. if this is the problem, then great, but if it is a symptom of something larger then i'd love a crack at solving this now, while i have it apart.

related: could over-torquing and then backing off of the cylinder and head bolts be responsible?

Thanks everybody,

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.