O-ring Carb Mod, etc.

9 replies to this topic
  • TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:02 PM

i posted a thread earleir this week called 2001 wr426 help. i got alot of responces and appreciate the help. but here is my next question.

Someone said something about something that you could do with an O RING and i am not sure what he was talking about. It is low budget making it in my budget.

i am 18, in college full time, and working part time and would like my bike to grow a bigger set of balls cost effectively.

I have done the grey wire trick, baffle and the air box mod.

I AM DESPITE FOR ADVICE, SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW ALL OF YOUR IDEAS.

• maxtherat

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Use the search feature and you'll get all the info. and pics you need. Yes, it's cheap and easy.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:07 PM

This message was edited because I didn't read carefully enough, oops

• 2lcf

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:16 PM

Keep them clean and fresh and make sure you don't wash all the grease out of the orings (like with a pressure washer) so keep it lubed also. That's about all you can do with chains and sprockets that I know of. I don't think you will find more HP's out of a fresh chain by doing "something" to it.

I think he was referring to the O ring modification you can do to the carb to make the throttle cams open at the same time..............not the o ring on your chain........

• maxtherat

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:14 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=604077

Look here for mod

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted March 04, 2008 - 09:57 PM

I think he was referring to the O ring modification you can do to the carb to make the throttle cams open at the same time..............not the o ring on your chain........

OH my bad! Wow I feel dumb:bonk:

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 04, 2008 - 11:29 PM

I now understand what the modification is for and what it does, but where can i find the o ring kit for my carb?

and for those of you who have the power bowls, do they really help that much?

Lastly.... The fork air bleeders, are they really worth it?

Thanks so much for the advice guys!!
Eric

• dazzabb

Posted March 04, 2008 - 11:50 PM

The Powerbowls may be overkill if you have the '06 or older bike with the steel frame as the leak jet is not too hard to access - the main reason for buying a PB would be to adjust the leak jet size without taking the carb off.

It will save you alot of time and effort if you have the 07 ally framed beast as the carb is in such a superb location.

I have a PB on my 05 and I like it, but to be honest it was a bit of a lazy and more costly way to the same solution. And I was getting bored of trying different leak jets.

I found the PB helped reduce hot engine stalling alot and also when cresting steep rises.

The beauty of the PB is that there is no drilling of the float bowl involved and it can be swapped to other bikes with FCR carbs - all WR's/ CRF's.

And it gets top marks for bling!

Fork Air Bleeders - I can't say I have ever noticed a difference after bleeding the pressure off, yes I can hear the pressure being bled off, but as for a handling change - for me no.

• matt4x4

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:21 AM

If too much air pressure builds up in your forks, you can damage your seals early, thus the need for bleeders, the push type are so much more convenient which means we'd actually push them sometimes where the screw types can't really be dealt with on the trail where it matters most, remember that through use, the forks warm up, the air in the forks warms up as well, warm air expands which causes a buildup in pressure so this is when you want to hit the bleeder - while they're warm, while it's in use.

• rbn14

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:38 AM

I now understand what the modification is for and what it does, but where can i find the o ring kit for my carb?

and for those of you who have the power bowls, do they really help that much?

Lastly.... The fork air bleeders, are they really worth it?

Thanks so much for the advice guys!!
Eric

You dont need a kit but if you want one the closest thing is the JD jet kit. It includes a couple orings with it but is a little pricy compared the the $0.59 it cost if you just want the o-rings (lowes, home depot, etc). A thinner o-ring will be a little mellower than a thick one. A #78 (7/16" OD x 1/4" ID) or similar (i used a 1/2" OD x 5/16" ID) works well and would be considered a "thick" o-ring. If you still have a bog try a smaller leak jet. I think the powerbowl, powerpump, and merge racing ALJ are all pretty cool if you have the cash.

Oh did the 01s come with the long throttle stop?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.