wr 400 shavings in oil filter

9 replies to this topic
  • dishenpole

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hi everyone new to this site and looking for info. Looking at getting a 2000 wr 400.There is metal shavings in the oil filter,is this normal.He said it has done this since new.Any bad reveiws.Hows starting the bike.thanks.

• dugabrams

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:54 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but you are smart for not taking his word for it and posting the question here.

• TooFast

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Every YZ/WR 400 I've ever seen produces shavings...been inside two of them and never have seen the source

• dishenpole

Posted March 05, 2008 - 10:27 AM

Okay thanks for the replies.I think i will try to find out more.I did not think this was normal for a bike that was 8 years old? Thanks

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 05, 2008 - 01:26 PM

My '99 still has little shavings in the oil filter from time to time. Not always but sometimes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted March 05, 2008 - 01:28 PM

It wasnt for me.
4th gear showed signs of use, check the .chewed gears. topic.
It is not necessary your case, could just be normal use if pieces are small and alike.

• matt4x4

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:27 AM

I have a 2000 as well, they must have left out the shave injection on mine since I've never seen them.

• Bamster

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:55 AM

I have a 2000 as well, they must have left out the shave injection on mine since I've never seen them.

Yours is a first.

I have never seen one that dosn't produce shavings. Totaly normal.
Get a magnetic drain plug.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=444630

• Frostbite

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Yours is a first.

I have never seen one that dosn't produce shavings. Totaly normal.
Get a magnetic drain plug.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=444630

My 99 always had shavings. I don't know where the endless supply comes from, but none none of the internal components seemed to get any smaller, and the shavings never seemed to cause any damage.

• Bamster

Posted March 06, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Straight cut gears, clutch plates ? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.