YZ450 or KX450

59 replies to this topic
  • hillclimbguy

Posted March 19, 2008 - 08:37 PM

Follow your gut. If Yamaha has good dealerships around and can take care of your bike needs, then go blue. If the Kawi has better dealerships then go green. I prefer the blue bikes.

• RJB

Posted March 19, 2008 - 10:36 PM

Guys I ride with out here have a mixed bag of bikes (CRF, 2xWRs, 1xYZ, and 1x KX). All bikes have taken a good solid thrashing in the mud and clay and are all still running great. I've got a WR & new 08 YZ here (always stuck with blue), but am very impressed with the finish, quality and handling of the Kawasaki. Given the price difference in these neck of the woods, I was a fool to have gone with the Yammie, but still love them. Would say either would do a great job.

• BergArabia

Posted March 22, 2008 - 11:31 PM

I have an 05 YZ450f and an 07 CRF450.
The YZ still runs great, needs a bit of tune up on the suspension now I think.
The CRF has probably had a good 50+ hours on it since I bought it in November. Runs like new. The YZ runs like new. But I do the excessive oil change thing. cos that is about all I know about maintenance.

I usually ride 2-3 hours in a day when I go out. A lot of that is WOT, it is all in the desert and I use paddles, so it works pretty hard.
Even after 2 hours that oil on the engine side is black.

I wonder if that might explain the valve problems with CRFs, the very small amount of oil on the engine side of the crf and the hard work it has to do..

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:08 AM

I wonder if that might explain the valve problems with CRFs, the very small amount of oil on the engine side of the crf and the hard work it has to do..

Nope. Valve stems and faces are lubed by fuel, not by oil.

• time_wazter

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:11 PM

I ride the 07 yz450 and would definetly recomend yz. the biggest thing that made my mind up was the engine. yamaha has definetly been leading in the four stroke engines they have been putting the in there bikes and they were the first in the snowmobiles. (i have a ski doo summit 800)

• time_wazter

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Nope. Valve stems and faces are lubed by fuel, not by oil.

I didn't know the fuel was a lubricant. And if so what does the exhaust valves use..

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:16 PM

I didn't know the fuel was a lubricant. And if so what does the exhaust valves use..

Fuel is the only lubricant of any kind present in the top end. Your YZF probably uses little, if any oil, right? If it had 1/1000 of a drop of oil (one 1.5 millionth of a quart) in the cylinder each time it fired, your bike would use half a quart in about 8 hours, figuring an average of 6000 RPM.

The fact is that even the exhaust valves get more lube from fuel (mostly during the overlap period) than from oil. Many tuners using certain race fuels will add very small amounts of oil to the fuel if they feel that it is too "dry" compared to pump fuel, and almost all users of methanol fuel do this.

• gregtrask

Posted March 24, 2008 - 08:46 PM

I have a kx and i like it alot better then the crf, cant speak for the yz as i have not had one on the track. I'm 5'8, and yeah if i'm on rough ground its hard for me to kick start since for a couple seconds no feet are on the ground. Left on a peg and right on the kick lever. But i love it in the corners so i dont mind. But you cannot make a bad choice, all bikes are great in their own way now a days. i say find the best deal.

• time_wazter

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:37 AM

Fuel is the only lubricant of any kind present in the top end. Your YZF probably uses little, if any oil, right? If it had 1/1000 of a drop of oil (one 1.5 millionth of a quart) in the cylinder each time it fired, your bike would use half a quart in about 8 hours, figuring an average of 6000 RPM.

The fact is that even the exhaust valves get more lube from fuel (mostly during the overlap period) than from oil. Many tuners using certain race fuels will add very small amounts of oil to the fuel if they feel that it is too "dry" compared to pump fuel, and almost all users of methanol fuel do this.

I never said that the oil from the cylinder head lubed it.
I am saying that fuel doesn't lubricate the valves and valve stems.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:56 AM

I never said that the oil from the cylinder head lubed it.
I am saying that fuel doesn't lubricate the valves and valve stems.

Then you would be wrong in that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonny Quest

Posted March 28, 2008 - 06:46 PM

Maybe problems seems more prevalent with the CRF's because there's just more of them out there?

• harwood39

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:07 PM

anyways, i have been back and forth to bother dealers here, and decided to update, got aproved for financing on the kawi, and all i mean all the bikes at the honda/yami dealer are trashed NEW!!!! like cut seat covers, cracked/cut plastics, an other issues... so i WILL NOT be going with the yami... The Kawi dealer in town and out of town are great to work with. But i still wish more people i knew rode kawis...

• BergArabia

Posted April 21, 2008 - 08:40 AM

I have both a YZ450f 05 model and an 07 CRF450.
I have been riding the crf mostly lately and the YZ had a holiday for about 2 months and I even put it up for sale.
This weekend I rode the YZ for the first time in a couple of months. Once I got it started (had to drain out stabilizer etc.) I was surprised at how crisp and snappy it was.
I am sure I rode it faster than the CRF I have been riding for the last couple of months, quite pleasing and thrilling actually.
Don't get me wrong, I love the CRF but I am thinking now I might just keep the YZ and ride it a bit more often.

• harwood39

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:09 AM

Oh, update. I picked up the 08 KX450

• Ga426owner

Posted April 21, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Oh, update. I picked up the 08 KX450

enjoy......:thumbsup:

• harwood39

Posted April 21, 2008 - 04:16 PM

I love it. Handles great right out of the box.

• harwood39

Posted April 21, 2008 - 07:35 PM

here she is! lots of parts on the way already also.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Family Man

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:27 AM

its not the yami motor thats weak in the tests its the crappy exhaust systems that come stock. Im convincede that if the yami came with a better exhaust it would win every shoutout. Why they dont is a mistery to me.

• harwood39

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:50 AM

handling... i didnt like they way my bddy's yami handled compared to the kx. The yami needs a lot of suspension work in my opinion.

• erickdj

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:50 AM

The yami needs a lot of suspension work in my opinion.

not the 08, they have been said to have the best production suspension ever. I'm no expert or pro racer, but I can tell that the suspension on the 08 yz450's is a true work of art.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.