UK vs US Machines

19 replies to this topic
  • EvoChris

Posted March 04, 2008 - 03:37 AM

Hi all, i have a question,
Im in the uk and i read alot about the grey wire mod, airbox mod and carb changes and wondered if any of this is needed in the uk? i dont think our laws are as strict as say California so dont think its an issue here, just wondered if there was more power lurking in my 2003 WR450? (dont need any more power to be honest:applause: ) It runs perfect and has a smaller back sprocket due to the front being constantly airbourne, mind you it has not helped much!
any info appreciated
Thanks
Chris

• carrzysafc

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Do the grey wire, air box and throttle stop mods. Gives the bike a new lease of life. I have done all of the above and i am in the UK!

• EvoChris

Posted March 05, 2008 - 12:26 AM

NIce one! Right then where that FAQ, i know what im doing this wekend!

• wr_matt

Posted March 05, 2008 - 12:30 AM

Not sure what the OEM differences are, but do yourself a favor and uncork the exhaust :thumbsup: :eek: :D

It's a completely different bike!

• 04WR450man

Posted March 05, 2008 - 03:13 AM

I am pretty sure the genuine UK bikes don't have a gray wire, however, there are a lot of imports over here so its worth checking! The dealers almost always make sure the bike has the correct short throttle stop screw.
Fitting an aftermarket exhaust and a JD Jetting kit will give your bike a huge increase in power as the UK silencer is a piece of shit! Where 3rd gear 'off the throttle' wheelies were easy before, it hoists the front in 4th and 5th now, mucho fun!
:thumbsup:

Trev.

• EvoChris

Posted March 05, 2008 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for your responses guys, Can anyone recomend a quiet aftermarket exhaust, used to have a pro circuit but it was way too loud even with the MOT baffle in, the stock unit is about correct as far as sound goes as i dont want to attract too much attention.
I have a genuine uk bike and was going to look for the grey wire (and throttle stop) at the weekend, will i not be able to trace it?? is there a possibility of removing a wrong wire and is it still worth looking at doing the airbox mod? any other help would be appreciated, thanks all

• 234gearwheelie

Posted March 05, 2008 - 01:49 PM

If its a genuine uk model you wont have any restrictions,in my opinion the stock silencer is real quiet and good power not only that you wont get sent home from the enduro/hare n hound events for being to loud,events over here are now real strict!

• 2lcf

Posted March 05, 2008 - 02:53 PM

I am pretty sure the genuine UK bikes don't have a gray wire, however, there are a lot of imports over here so its worth checking! The dealers almost always make sure the bike has the correct short throttle stop screw.
Fitting an aftermarket exhaust and a JD Jetting kit will give your bike a huge increase in power as the UK silencer is a piece of shit! Where 3rd gear 'off the throttle' wheelies were easy before, it hoists the front in 4th and 5th now, mucho fun!
:eek:

Trev.

When I bought my 08, here in California, the dealer said they would put in the YZ throttle stop screw..........when I rejetted the bike I double checked the throttle stop they put in and it was not as short as the YZ one....it looks like they took the WR one and cut and ground it down......I would suggest you get the GYTR kit and put all the stuff from that into your bike......like it was said before, it is a TOTALLY different bike after the mods :thumbsup: :D are done......

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:01 PM

When I bought my 08, here in California, the dealer said they would put in the YZ throttle stop screw..........when I rejetted the bike I double checked the throttle stop they put in and it was not as short as the YZ one....it looks like they took the WR one and cut and ground it down......I would suggest you get the GYTR kit and put all the stuff from that into your bike......like it was said before, it is a TOTALLY different bike after the mods :thumbsup: :D are done......

I don't plan to remove the AIS and wanted to use a JD kit, so I just bought the screw from my dealer. it was ~$10 :eek:

• 04WR450man

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:10 AM

The stock uk stainless steel pipe on the pre 2005 WR's is a restrictive POS, FMF Q pipe with powerbomb seems to work well!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • carrzysafc

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Search for a thread called "2007 grey wire confirmation".
Mine is a uk bike bought form dealer and it had the grey wire. Dont snip it just unclip it form the plug with a small screwdriver, tape the end up then stick it back in to stop the dirt from getting in there.
2 minute job. The bike picks up much better now!

• doctorchopper

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi chris, i have a stock w450 pipe for an 05 that should fit your bike if you want a lend of it, only prob is i'm in Ireland so shipping would be about 15-20£ if you want to use it your welcome to it. i also have a device called a db dawg, you just stick it in the back of the pipe and it has 2 allen set screws, makes bike a lot quiter, had it for my wr426 for enduro's it cost about 50euro i think.

• EvoChris

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:13 AM

Doctor chopper, thanks for the kind offer it much appreciated, :thumbsup: i think i will start looking for an aftermarket pipe, when i bought the bike it came with a pro circuit unit, as i said earlier it was real loud:bonk: , the woods that i use for fun nearby is only a mile away but my misses could here me coming back:naughty: , at least the beer top was popped by the time i got back!:eek: So i put the standard pee shooter pipe back on and to be honest did not notice much difference, mind you i only had a few miles under my belt with the WR and i was still shi**ing myself every time it went wobbly or up in the air:eek: .......different story now and looking for more power, funny this power thing....always looking for more!:D :ride:
As a note does the 05 pipe have the means to be modified for improvements, my 03 one is a fully welded stainless steel jobby, cant look inside it and the exit pipe is about 15mm diameter, just enough to get my finger in it.:lol: Thanks again for all your replies, Im going to play this weekend, will definately do the airbox mod, got some nice stainless steel mesh for side of it!

• motocross_mike

Posted March 07, 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hey evoChris, I've got a FMF Q2 on my 05 wr450, nice note, not too loud (95db I think they claim) works well. cant tell you how it compares to a standard pipe as I bought it with the pipe on... I have the stock pipe but have not tried it.
There is a thread on this forum from another Aussie who shows how to mod a standard wr pipe for better performance, but my guess is that it will be pretty loud.

try searching for exhaust mods or simmilar.

see ya
mike

• motocross_mike

Posted March 07, 2008 - 03:31 AM

Here is the thread to save you looking
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=349760
cheers

• EvoChris

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:20 AM

Thanks Mike:thumbsup:
Will have a peek!:thumbsup:

• EvoChris

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:27 AM

Just had a look, thats a different pipe to mine, the one i have is just a cylindrical stainless tube with an end welded to it, no rivetes at all with a small spigot in the centre poking out which was standard on the uk 2003 model. Will try to figure out how to add pics........

Does anyone know how loud a YZ450 one is, there are a few on ebay that would fit i could bid for????

• EvoChris

Posted March 07, 2008 - 04:42 AM

I've just figured out how to add pics to the 'garage' use this link below or click on 'my garage' after my avitar, you can quite clearly see the exhaust on it,

http://www.thumperta...hicle&vid=13157

Hope this shows the pipe ok.:thumbsup:

Hope you like the pics too

• motocross_mike

Posted March 09, 2008 - 02:43 AM

Hi chris?, Well the pix worked well. I have seen a mod done to that pipe as well... If I find the site again I will post the link... Depends on you welding skill a bit as you need to cut the pipe at the end then remove some stuff from inside then reweld the end back on....may be it is easier to buy a pipe.. but I will have a look for the site anyway.

Here is one mod... not the one I was thinking of , but it may be of use
http://www.dirtbike.ws/node/4734

• EvoChris

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:31 AM

Thanks mike, i had a check over the bike this weekend and found to be a proper uk machine at full power with no restriction (no grey wire/ throttle stop ETC issues here ) I did notice the airbox looked quite restrictive but left well alone as i thought i may getting into jetting issues and as it runs so nice i left it.:eek:
I did notice it has a 47 tooth rear sprocket (14 front), i know the standard is 50 in which i have as a spare. I find the front wont stay down in the first 3 gears as it is, would the 50t make any difference??:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.