350 Rule..I hope not

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:13 PM

Got a pinch bolt at the Yamaha shop yesterday and was talking about the diffs between the 08 and 07 YZ with a rep who has an 08. He and his boss have been riding and his boss is on an 07. Bossman is trying to tone down the 07 with different gears and other stuff where as the 08 seems to have a smoother power curve and rides the trails better. So after a good bit of explanation concerning the differences I start asking why they thought the 08's were toned down and pushed my theoretical EFI coming to the table idea onto the floor. Probably not but maybe was the response to that. But their individual responses to why they thought things switched both boiled down to the 07's being too hard to ride.:thumbsup: One example bossman threw up was Grant Langstons MX run last year. First of the year he was running an 07 and wasn't doing much then midstride he jumped on an 08 and didn't lose a National then went on to win the AMA crown. :eek: :D So the guy I was initially talking to apparently knows Willy Musgrave and in talking has heard that there is somewhat of a push to instill a 350 rule to the MX scene due to the inability of the event coordinators to build a track safe enough to push the 450's to their limit. He said, "listen to the 450's when they run these indoor courses. They aren't revved out and riders just blip the throttle to fly a triple that used to be impossible:blah: :ride: So is there Merit to any of this? I dunno. But I wonder if the WR will shrink with the YZ? The 350's will surely rev quicker and be lighter but the grunt will diminish if this goes forward. Man I hate to see it and sorry for the long post but just wanted to pay my $.02 to the cause.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 03, 2008 - 11:03 PM

Why Langston had sucess on the '08 and not the '07 had more to do with the geometry of the '08 frame than the power delivery

Remember, a factory bike's engine is tuned to each individual rider's tastes. I believe per AMA rules the frame has to be a production piece.

• dirtysouth

Posted March 03, 2008 - 11:49 PM

I have ridden each and the 07's power is noticibly more abrubpt but you make a solid point...I don't really know enough to make any real judgement...I was really just trying to briefly include the whole conversation as pieces of it seemed relative. One comment made was something to the effect that some riders were complaining of the abrubpt power curve...I honestly wouldn't think this to be an issue...but like I said..I don't know enough.

• brett_h

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:51 AM

I ride a WR-300 and would absolutely LOVE a WR-350. I rode the Eddieville G.P. and MX track last weekend and rode 450F's, 250T's and my 300. I think a 350 4-stroke would be the best of all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:32 PM

I ride a WR-300 and would absolutely LOVE a WR-350. I rode the Eddieville G.P. and MX track last weekend and rode 450F's, 250T's and my 300. I think a 350 4-stroke would be the best of all.

Thats almost exactly the way that guy put it toward the end of our conversation. Sounds scary to go smaller but I am guessing that lightness coupled with quicker revs may be something fun to play around on, however the grunt low down is what I live for on the streets around here so...this is all just speculation anyway:excuseme:

• brett_h

Posted March 05, 2008 - 06:42 AM

On the street bigger is probably better.

• MountainMax

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I love the low end torque of my 450 and woul buy a 650 if they made one, for the same reason, low end grunt. come on with a WR650!!!!

• 2lcf

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:48 AM

I love the low end torque of my 450 and woul buy a 650 if they made one, for the same reason, low end grunt. come on with a WR650!!!!

Holly crap...............i can't even imagine a WR650...........I have not even used ALL of my 450's power.............it would be interesting though...........:eek: :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.