Dont use No-toil on foam air filters

15 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:00 PM

I had one WB powerfilter delaminate so I tossed it out. Then I noticed the glue on my second wb power filter fail after 2 cleanings, and no toil oil applications. SO I decided to do some research online to determine wich filter to buy next and read that the isopropyl alcohol in No-toil eats the glue used in regular filters.:thumbsup: Thought I should give a heads up.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:14 PM

ive been using no-toil for awhile now.. never had a problem with the stuff. used it on both my stock up intill it tore. then bought their fast filters and the stuff works great..

• Family Man

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:29 PM

I like it too but you need to use no-toil filters with it. There should be a warning that comes with no-toil though so people dont polute their engines once the glue fails on a standard foam filter.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:43 PM

you can use many filters with the stuff. just look around on the site..

how long did you leave the oil on the filter? in some cases if left for a period of time it will disolve the glue. but repeated uses shouldnt cause this. but your right. some filters simply dont work with this stuff, but thats not no-toils fault.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:47 PM

First, not all filters are susceptible to damage from contact with isopropyl, or any other alcohol.

Second, all of that aside, I don't use No Toil because it doesn't work as well as the Maxima FFT I use. No Toil's ease of clean up is overrated, it isn't nearly as aggressively tacky as FFT, and it it won't stay tacky over time, which is important to me because I pre-oil my filters well ahead of using them.

Whether there's a real problem with it breaking down certain filters or not, it's not for me.

• sierra nf

Posted March 03, 2008 - 11:11 PM

I have been using PJ1 filter cleaner and oil. I'm fairly new to the sport. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions.

• DeeCee

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:17 AM

I ride deserts all the time and no-toil is the only product in this category which is available to me.

I have been using it for a while now and have not had any problems at all. However I do clean my filter after every ride and I do not apply the no-toil until just before my ride. I leave the filter out for a while so the alcohol can evaporate and then fit it. Usually I fit the filter the night before my ride (I ride early mornings).

• almostinvincible119

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:33 AM

shouldnt this be general.

but anyways. if you read the no toil products website and the WB filterbox, it actually says not to use No Toil on it. So, next time, check those out. I love the stuff, works great, its cheap, and i can throw my 15 filters in the washing machine and not worry about it.

you do it your way, ill do it mine. thats why theres so many options

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2008 - 09:57 AM

I never had good results with No Toil......
I use WB, TwinAir filters and Belray Filter oil - No Spray
I clean with Kerosene then rinse out with warm soapy water - completely rinse out and completely air dry before reoiling (I rotate filters)
Been using same filters for years this method no breakdown period

• Family Man

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:02 AM

Do you guys know if you can use no toil with twin air filters? I agree with Grey that Maxima fft is much better oil, its just that gasoline is nasty and lacquer thinnner isnt much better. I like to have a couple of filters oiled and ready to go.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:01 PM

, its just that gasoline is nasty and lacquer thinnner isnt much better. I like to have a couple of filters oiled and ready to go.

I hope you are not using either of these as cleaning solvents - they both will eat the glue that holds filters together and breakdown the actual filter element quickly over time...although they do clean very well. Kerosene will clean almost as good but w/o any breakdown of the filter

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:06 PM

I agree with Grey that Maxima fft is much better oil, its just that gasoline is nasty and lacquer thinnner isnt much better. I like to have a couple of filters oiled and ready to go.

Mineral Spirits are vastly friendlier than either gasoline or lacquer thinner. If you like to have the filters ready in advance, No Toil isn't as effective.

• Family Man

Posted March 04, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Since I have to buy new filters anyways, and I do like to have my filters ready in advance, Im thinking about going back to maxima fft. I havent tried mineral spirits for cleaning yet. Grey which filters do you recommend for Maxima FFT, Im thinking about the Twin Air filters? What do you think of the ready racing filters, 10 bucks each?

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2008 - 02:31 PM

I use Twin Airs. The only Ready filters I've ever seen were light and thin, and I wasn't impressed. Amsoil sells TA filters, and PC's get a discount. They still cost more than the Ready, but so what?

• stone scribe

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:21 PM

I've tried a lot of different cleaners over the years. First, I used gasoline. It worked well, but left me with dirty gas to dispose of. Then I tried kerosene. It cleaned well, but doesn't dry out well. Then you have soapy water with kerosene to dispose of. Then I used the spray filter cleaner PJ1 makes. It did ok, but even after a couple of applications the foam would still be a bit dirty looking. Then I recently tried No-toil after reading raving reviews about it on another board. I've been impressed so far. The cleaner works like a dream. The filters look brand new after washing in a bucket with warm water. I'm not as crazy about the oil. I wish it was a darker color, for one. But all in all, it's the best solution to filter cleaning I've found yet. I'm having no glue problems from my Twin-air filters. :thumbsup:

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:52 PM

I have been using PJ1 filter cleaner and oil. I'm fairly new to the sport. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions.

I've been using the PJ1 filter oil and cleaner for the last 2 years on both stock and Twin Air filters. Never had a problem with it, and since I pre-oil my filters, the filter oil stays tacky in the bag for quite a while. I also change my filters regularly.

As for disposal of the filter cleaner and water, I just dump it into a 5 gal. bucket (that holds my used engine oil) and take it to a local lube shop where I dump it into their big used oil tank.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.