Chaning oil in 06 without making a mess???

20 replies to this topic
  • mcnaughb

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:57 PM

Is this even possible? Everytime I change my oil I end up with a good size puddle of oil on the garage floor. The oil tank side is easy, but the gearbox side is always a mess.

Anyone have any good tricks?

Forgot to mention it's a 450. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:35 PM

You can't avoid it altogether, but you can minimize it.

Starting with the oil "tank" drain (left side), I use a sheet of brass shim stock (it could be any light sheet metal) that I turned a little lip up on the edges of three sides. I pull the breather out of the way, slide the sheet under the drain and remove the plug. The sheet channels the oil over the frame and out. 98% solves the problem.

Then I do the oil filter. I use the "paper" disposable shop towels at home, and I take one and stuff it behind the water pump shield, below the filter cover. I hold the cover in place until the last screw is out, pull the cover, mop up with a second shop towel, then pull the stuffer out. About 70% solves the problem.

The only mess the right side drain for the sump makes is that the drain stream tends to curl back and catch the edge of the glide plate, where it drips off for the rest of the day. Stuffing a shop towel up on the plate prevents this. Pretty much a complete fix.

• meyer fire

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:38 PM

I always take off my skid plate, then I follow the owner manual on what to do next. But the part you might be missing is a 10 to 14" oil pan that way you can have both drain bolts out at the same time. The bigger the oil pan the better!!!

• TCCRA RACER

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:55 AM

Don't change it in the garage.. Do it in the dirt..

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:23 AM

There isn't a problem making it go in the pan, the problem is in keeping the oil off the bike.

• Wiz636

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:48 AM

My biggest peeve was that when draining the oil on the ignition side it would hit the frame and then get underneath the motor mount tab and then drip out of there for an hour after I was done. I put some clear silicone sealant in the gap and now I can just wipe it off and I'm done.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Don't change it in the garage.. Do it in the dirt..

geez this will get the enviromentalist/Greenies and Sierra Club members on a roll.....

Here is what I do to avoid the mess.
I use a large yellow car oil drainer /drainpan- bought at any auto parts/walmart store. It also has a spout for pouring oil out
Always remove skidplate
Bike motor/Clutch is warm
position yellow oil drainer under bike while bike is leaned against wall etc...
remove all oil drain bolts
leave oil filter for last
after drained install all bolts
spray oil filter area.frame with any brake, carb contact cleaner then wipe
empty yellow oil drainer into larger 5gal oil can - I give this to shops that burn it for heat - oil burner heater
wash out yellow drainer for next time
Whole thing takes 15min:thumbsup:

• cheekz

Posted March 04, 2008 - 11:34 AM

how much oil does it take/hold? 2 liters?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2008 - 11:57 AM

how much oil does it take/hold? 2 liters?

I guess maybe 20qts - it is made for automobile oil changes

• KAS

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:03 PM

I do my oil changes kinda like greyracer does.

I use an empty paper towel roll that I cut length-wise, to funnel the oil from the tank drain into a pan. Not a drop spilled here.

For the sump drain, I don't have any trouble whatsoever. My skid plate has a large enough section cut out that I don't even take it off. Just pull the plug, drain, install the plug. Again, not a drop spilled.

For the filter, I stuff paper towels everywhere I can to keep the oil from running down the side of the motor.

Its very rare that I ever get a few drops on the shop floor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TCCRA RACER

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:06 PM

There isn't a problem making it go in the pan, the problem is in keeping the oil off the bike.

Just drain it in the dirt and use brake clean on it!!! No problems..:thumbsup:

• meyer fire

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:13 PM

Greyracer if you read the mcnaughb post he says he has a puddle of oil on the ground not on the bike!

• mcnaughb

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Actually...it's on the garage floor, bike, me, my neighbor's house, etc. :thumbsup: By looking at the mess you'd swear the thing holds a gallon of oil.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:37 PM

Just drain it in the dirt and use brake clean on it!!! No problems..:thumbsup:

None except it poisons the soil, the ground water, and it is just short of a felony in California. That's in addition to being arrogant and careless. Otherwise, you're right. :eek:

Actually...it's on the garage floor, bike, me, my neighbor's house, etc. :D By looking at the mess you'd swear the thing holds a gallon of oil.

You do need to use a decent sized drain pan. Something like 10-12" should do it. You also need to avoid having the bike on the stand it such a way as to not let the oil run all over the stand. When you drain the "oil tank" and the filter, slide the bike well forward so that both those points are hanging over the edge far enough that the oil won't hit it. Close those up and slide the bike back so the crankcase drain had a clear drop to the pan.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 05, 2008 - 06:44 AM

. Something like 10-12" should do it. You also need to avoid having the bike on the stand it such a way as to not let the oil run all over the stand. When you drain the "oil tank" and the filter, slide the bike well forward so that both those points are hanging over the edge far enough that the oil won't hit it. Close those up and slide the bike back so the crankcase drain had a clear drop to the pan.

Exactly why I lean it up against a wall etc...the stand makes it very difficult not to make a mess. You can also lean the bike to empty most of the oil this way all of it drips into the drainpan under the bike

• Ga426owner

Posted March 05, 2008 - 06:48 AM

Just drain it in the dirt and use brake clean on it!!! No problems..:eek:

no problems? geez lets see you are adding used oil to groundwater as it does find it's way to it....yes it is the easiest way to discharge used oil but at too much cost to the enviroment. Please think about this the next time you consider emptying the oil .... :thumbsup:

• Lowrance

Posted March 07, 2008 - 05:50 AM

After draining oil from tank and motor, lay bike over on left hand side (place bar on stand) and pull oil filter cover and filter. Sop up excess oil with a clean disposable shop towel install new filter and oil.

No mess at all.

John

• TCCRA RACER

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:05 PM

Ok so you think that my 1 qt of oil in the dirt is worse than all the oil leaking from cars on the street and going in the storm drains!!!! Cmon are ya some tree hugger or somthin?? holy smokes what if you fall over and your bike leaks fuel? Do you get a towel and dry it up? GEEZ!!! There is no documented proof that used oil is bad for the soil!!! Cars and trucks have been leaking oil for years in our streets... Is that a felony Gray?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:11 PM

It is if it's dumped deliberately, yes.

• KAS

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:21 PM

Ok so you think that my 1 qt of oil in the dirt is worse than all the oil leaking from cars on the street and going in the storm drains!!!! Cmon are ya some tree hugger or somthin?? holy smokes what if you fall over and your bike leaks fuel? Do you get a towel and dry it up? GEEZ!!! There is no documented proof that used oil is bad for the soil!!! Cars and trucks have been leaking oil for years in our streets... Is that a felony Gray?

Think about if EVERYBODY had your attitude. :sweden: :excuseme: :confused: :excuseme:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.