cleaning electrical connectors & switches

9 replies to this topic
  • beemerwolf

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Okay now, I'm kinda in a pinch here & could use some help.

I've got a couple of sticky switches all opened up, but my spray can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner seems to be empty:eek:

Geeze I said:bonk: .....well, not exactly:p

Anyway, You'd think that a guy that has a spare can or two of nearly everything would have an extra can of QD Electrical Cleaner......NOPE!!:)

So, is there anything I can use that's currently on my shelf other than heading out to the store?

It's not like I have to shovel the driveway or scrape off the truck or anything like RobbieO or so many of ya'll would need to do, but geeze, I was really on a roll working on the bikes getting ready for a nice dual-sport ride with my son on Friday & I didn't want to break the rhythm of my work.

....anything??

Thank you kindly:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!
:smirk:

• William1

Posted March 03, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Baking soda often works, a pencil eraser works, a dip in cooper sulfate, conneted to a battery often works.
You could always get out the 'DeOxid' and use that (Google it)

• Aaron_Silidker

Posted March 03, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Brake clean...any solvent that doesn't leave a residue is fine IMO.

• massrider

Posted March 03, 2008 - 03:20 PM

I have had good luck with WD40 on electrical contacts

• kman780

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:48 PM

I have had good luck with WD40 on electrical contacts

+1 that is what WD40 was made for.... :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hi_im_sean

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:16 PM

Baking soda often works, a pencil eraser works, a dip in cooper sulfate, conneted to a battery often works.
You could always get out the 'DeOxid' and use that (Google it)

deoxit and a pencil eraser works wonders. well said william. brake clean works well enoyugh in a pinch but wont break the oxidation

• beemerwolf

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:58 PM

ahhhh.....baking soda, that's the one I was trying to remember.
thank you william.......can I make you a nice bologna sammich??

WD40, I thought that was bad stuff to use as it left a residue or something.
Anyone else remember why we aren't supposed to use WD40 for cleaning electrical connections??

HappyRiding !!
:thumbsup: :eek:

• William1

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:11 PM

WD40 works for the moment, but long term effects from it are bad. It does leave a real gummy residue, allot like dried out turpentine. I never use it.

WD40 name is derived from Water Dispersant, formula attempt 40

• RobbieO

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:45 PM

It's not like I have to shovel the driveway or scrape off the truck or anything like RobbieO would need to do, but geeze....

HappyRiding !!
:ride:

Beemer, now you've offended me.:D :thumbsup:

I would never use a shovel on my driveway.:lol:

Posted Image

As for scraping off my truck..........why?
I nip to the store on this.:eek:

Posted Image

:ride: :ride: :ride: :cry: :eek: :(

• ChopperDoc

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Brake clean will dry to a residue that will attract dirt and cause abrasion and corrosion. It's a good material for cleaning metal parts but not a great one for electrical. It does displace water, but is only useful if used regularly.

Baking soda cleans battery terminals if they are contaminated with the residue from the acid compounds, but you're not likely to have those compounds elsewhere.

Brake cleaners work well but beware of chlorinated cleaner as they react with some rubber/plastics (can anyone say "insulation", or "connector"?). Best is to use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and put a small amount of DC-4 (Dow Corning compound #4) or other similar dielectric grease on connectors and terminals - this will keep the contacts from corroding and keep water out. The important part to keep in mind is the small part, since any more than a thin film will attract crap and cause problems.

These products work well in heavy equipment, helicopters, and motorcycles, in my experience.

Related Content

Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 14 reviews
  • Last review by orundle
  • On September 19, 2014
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.