Any reason to NOT powder coat 426 frame?

12 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys, I have an 01 426 that I love. I live in CA and need the green sticker and I ride the track as well so it works out. I think it's time to get her all cleaned up so I'm either going to have the frame re-painted or powder coated. Is there any reason to NOT powder coat the frame with the oil etc.. going through the frame? Has anyone done this before? Does it last longer than paint?? Let me know, thanks!:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2008 - 02:12 PM

1> Be certain the powder coaters understand that the frame is an oil tank, and that they will take measures to keep the interior clean an free of all pigments and blasting media.

>2 Tell them not to bury the VIN number.

• klxnewguy

Posted March 03, 2008 - 04:11 PM

Thats good info, thanks. What about heat, will it make the oil heat up any more or less than the paint? What about chipping, is it a stronger material that won't chip as much maybe? I'm also thinking about hitting the swing arm so any info would be a great help, thanks!!

• mike_dean

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:13 PM

My frame was powder coated several years ago and looks good still. The only problem was I bought an extra dip stick to plug the hole, and it leaked during the heat process and small amount of oil bubbled out and ruined the powder coat, they had to sand blast again and redo it, it was very hard to sand blast the powder coat, but they took care of everything. Heres the only pic I have on photobucket, but you can see that the frame gets a little scuffed from my boots but thats it, there are some scratches under the engine of course. This is an '00 426. Mike
Posted Image

• klxnewguy

Posted March 03, 2008 - 08:11 PM

Wow, that looks great. Any clue on how much that would cost to do the frame? I love the yellow too. How long ago did you make all the changes? Nice!

• mike_dean

Posted March 04, 2008 - 04:00 AM

I think 4 0r 5 years ago, the frame cost me $160. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SupermotoAbuser

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Make sure you have drawings and notes written so the DO NOT!!! paint or sandblast inside the oil tankand headtube. Tell them to plug every thread, and hole and make sure you don't have any bolts left in the frame because the paint and heating processes will leave it pretty much locked in.

• beanmop

Posted March 05, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I say do it. I had mine powdercoated and it turned out awesome. They did a good job of plugging all the holes (definitely make sure that gets taken care of too).

Even so, I set up a small in line pump with an inline fuel filter set up to circulate diesel through my oil tank before I used it. Didn't wanna take any chances.

• mike_dean

Posted March 05, 2008 - 03:24 PM

They told me to plug all the bolt holes with bolts and they came out perfect, they also said to put tape where I didn't want powder coat and they would retape with their special tape, that also worked perfect. Mike

• klxnewguy

Posted March 07, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you know if it holds up better than the paint? Chips etc..? Thanks.

• mike_dean

Posted March 07, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Holds up much better than paint in every way. Mike

• Wyatt

Posted March 10, 2008 - 02:07 PM

As stated just make sure the oil tank is clean afterwards. I remember someone on her losing a motor because of not flushing the tank after powdercoating.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Powdercoating is Very Durable. Lots more than Paint. I have had two sportbikes done with no complaints!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.