These Ebay Triple Clamps hit the stock tank

30 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:50 PM

These clamps are good quality, especially for the price, but they hit the stock tank, ON THE XRR and cut into the plastic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW
If you mount them with (2) clamp nut washers underneath, it prevents this, but they will not work with the IMS or Clark tanks, as they are just too big for those tanks.

• The Regulator

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:55 PM

Did you let him know? I'm a machinist and I'm pretty sure he could use a little feeback to improve his product. :smirk:

• Norge

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:04 PM

These clamps are good quality, especially for the price, but they hit the stock tank, and cut into the plastic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW
If you mount them with (2) clamp nut washers underneath, it prevents this, but they will not work with the IMS or Clark tanks, as they are just too big for those tanks.

I totally disagree, they work great with IMS and Clark tanks. They don't interfere with my IMS tank at all.

Posted Image

• Brtp4

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:05 PM

Did you let him know? I'm a machinist and I'm pretty sure he could use a little feeback to improve his product. :smirk:

Tell him also that 8mm bolts and a 1.5cm x 1.5 cm surface-to-suface contact area for the mounts is not strong enough.

BP

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Yes, I sent him an email.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:14 PM

I totally disagree, they work great with IMS and Clark tanks. They don't interfere with my IMS tank at all.

Posted Image

Just on the XRR, not the lowly, XRL. Anything works on that bike. Have you tried one of these for your steering damper yet?:

Posted Image

• The Regulator

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:19 PM

Just on the XRR, not the lowly, XRL. Anything works on that bike. Have you tried one of these for your steering damper yet?:
Posted Image

Haha ~ NICE.... and cheap too! :smirk:

• Maroast

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!! I had to look at it for a bit to see what it was :smirk:

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:26 PM

talk to him, i have and he told me he could make anything i wanted, maybe he can make you a new set of risers that are a little more foreward so they dont hit when you turn bars side to side max.

• Norge

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for finally editing your gross mistake. Good luck with your "L" envy issues.
:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:35 PM

talk to him, i have and he told me he could make anything i wanted, maybe he can make you a new set of risers that are a little more foreward so they dont hit when you turn bars side to side max.

The bars are fine. It's the triple clamp itself that hits the tank. The clamps are WAY over built dimensionally, and are very sharp on the corners, so they actually hit the tank and create a dent.

I did not mount mine with the 2 extra washers that appear to alliviate this issue, as I did not want any additional flexing.

These clamps are not the same dimension vertically as stock (slimmer) so the fork tubes sit up higher in the clamps (well actually, the forks didn't move, the new clamp dropped down).

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:43 PM

i know the bars are fine its the risers the bar mounts, thats what im saying they sit back and on a R you dont have the speedo in the way and you could possibly get a set that the mount bolt is off center so you can swing the risers foreward and they wont hit. My bar mounts on my Applied are like that so you can have a range to mount a bit foreward or backwards, his look like the mount bolt is directly in the center and an offset would help them move foreward. Sounds like 5-10 mm is about all you need for some more clearance.

See in these how the mount is offset so you can move backwards or forewards, if he might make you another set like this (which im sure the guy will work with you) then you could mount a little foreward and prolly eliminate your contact with the tank. Mine dont have the bolt with nut the bar mount is tapped so you just bolt from underside.

Posted Image

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:51 PM

i know the bars are fine its the risers the bar mounts, thats what im saying they sit back and on a R you dont have the speedo in the way and you could possibly get a set that the mount bolt is off center so you can swing the risers foreward and they wont hit. My bar mounts on my Applied are like that so you can have a range to mount a bit foreward or backwards, his look like the mount bolt is directly in the center and an offset would help them move foreward. Sounds like 5-10 mm is about all you need for some more clearance.

IT'S NOT THE RISERS, IT'S THE CLAMP THAT HITS THE TANK.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:51 PM

These clamps are not the same dimension vertically as stock (slimmer) so the fork tubes sit up higher in the clamps (well actually, the forks didn't move, the new clamp dropped down).

no reason if you dont wanna move the forks down a few mm in the clamps as up to 5mm the average rider cant tell the difference anyways. Ive moved mine up to 10mm depending on where and what kind of track i was racing at but i was never a pro and couldnt really tell to be honest with you and i still cant tell 5mm difference

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:54 PM

IT'S NOT THE RISERS, IT'S THE CLAMP THAT HITS THE TANK.

CHILL OUT brother i didnt understand what you were saying its ok!!! so its the square corners of the top clamp then? i dont see how shimming will help that then either. sounds like you need to foreward those pics with bars to full side and show him!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You can see the dent in the tank, on the left side. If I fell on the bars fully cocked, there is 4-5mm more throw before the steering hits the stops. That will puncture the tank.

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:12 PM

you definitely need to email those pics to him, thats alot of meat around the square blocky edges of that triple. personally if it didnt fit i wouldnt even try to shim or anything else i would just call it a loss and let everyone else know so they dont go thru the same problem you did. sucks and sad to see cuz his triples are pretty well priced and they are quality machined.

• Maroast

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:12 PM

You could cut your head-tube off the frame, then get a block of aluminum and weld it in as a spacer....the top-clamp would then clear. :smirk:

On a serious note, its kinda interesting that these clamps have been on the market for quite some time now, and this is the first I've ever heard of this problem...I was thinking of buying these too.

Could you use a Dremel to shave a little bit of those 2 corners off? Or would you have to take too much metal off and compromise the integrity of the clamp?

• porterdog

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:49 AM

If you're wanting to try to keep/use the RSW clamps you could put some type of buttonhead screws into the steering stops; obviously you'll increase your turning radius in doing so...

• Lofus

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:17 PM

Its called a belt sander...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.