Tweaked Sub frame

13 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:06 PM

Check out my bike for the first time since I wrecked it. I posted that I had bent radiators, but closer look and the subframe is bent! Sucks:foul: What should I do? Buy new Yamaha one or go with arc. I thinks it's arc?:smirk: Suggestions? Thanks Wes

• RJB

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Depends on how badly you tweaked it. Quite a few folks have simply straigtened theirs out using a 2x4 or similar. I ended up buying a replacement from Yamaha for my YZ426 at considerable cost, In hindsight, I should have simply try to straighten it myself (it wasn't that bad). The 'tweaked' sub did find a good home - some guy who'd wrecked his beyond repair and didn't have the funds to buy a replacement.

• 450_gal

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:52 PM

I say check it to see if the "tweak" causes a vulnerability issue and if not, just bend it back.

• Birdy426

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:52 PM

You might also look on e-bay for a good used one...

• Aleman

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:42 AM

Unless its trashed, just straighten that sucker out..its pretty common..

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:50 AM

Depending on how bad it is tweaked, you may be able to bend it back as previously mentioned. Or, you can take it to a decent weld shop and have them straighten it if you don't want to try.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:04 AM

Wes they are easy to rebend with a pipe or crowbar - depending how bad it is tweaked - take a rear shot pic and I can tell you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:30 PM

Check out my bike for the first time since I wrecked it. I posted that I had bent radiators, but closer look and the subframe is bent! Sucks:foul: What should I do? Buy new Yamaha one or go with arc. I thinks it's arc?:smirk: Suggestions? Thanks Wes

Hey there Wes!!!! You have a connection there at a dealer dont you???? Get the stock oem replacement. The aftermarket subframes are cheap. I have had personally bad experiences with those aftermarket subframes with fitment and the welding....they do come polished though. I think when i went to replace the subframe on my 06 the difference in price was about 60.00 between oem and the aftermarket. The aftermarket one was 150 and the oem 210. I would try bending it back and if that fails, get an oem. I still have the one that came off my 06, it wasnt really that bad. some guy crashed in to me and slammed the muffler which bent the silencer mount in......then the first jump i went off the tire took the silencer the rest of the way under the fender.

• Dveitch8

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:52 PM

get one of those nifty little carbon fiber one piecers with the built in air box; you'll save some weight and add some cool factor.

• todds924

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:06 PM

get one of those nifty little carbon fiber one piecers with the built in air box; you'll save some weight and add some cool factor.

Doesn't the European Rinaldi Team use those? I think you can get um from Rinaldi.

• rickallen124

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Twin air makes them now don't they?

• usmcpaul

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:06 AM

Wow, finally a post that I am considered to be an expert in 'Subframe Straightening'. LOL. I just disconnect the low side and then use a 2x4 or prybar wrapped in a rag to 'tweak' it back into position. Just be sure to disconnect one side, or it is damn near impossible.

• AnotherRedHead

Posted March 05, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Anyone got a link to the carbon subframe??

• Family Man

Posted April 06, 2008 - 09:14 PM

I tweaked my subframe today so Im going to try bending it back. So, I just remove the lower bolts and pry it back into shape?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.