Engine braking

2 replies to this topic
  • 450_gal

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:30 PM

So...I think we almost have the 450 dialed in. I rode today and the engine braking seems to be a lot better. My husband messed with my fuel screw and got it to where it doesn't idle too high.

The bike feels like it's doing a lot better, but I noticed the engine/hanging idle coming back when the bike got warm. It wasn't as bad as before, but it was still a little noticeable.

Any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:32 PM

Hanging idle is commonly caused by a lean pilot circuit. You can try going out with the fuel screw a little, or go to a larger pilot jet if necessary.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hanging idle is commonly caused by a lean pilot circuit. You can try going out with the fuel screw a little, or go to a larger pilot jet if necessary.

True. Other causes of a hanging idle are air leaks and tight intake valves. Occasionally, a defective TPS will cause this.

Excessively lean idle circuits will "hang" at higher speed when idling down, whereas excessively rich ones tend to stall out when the throttle is quickly closed.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.