Edlebrock getting better

9 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:46 PM

Edlebrock getting better
I have had a hanging idle and a slight decel pop since I last put the Edlebrock on, so I thought I would fiddle today and solve it.
I found that the 19e needle was rich, at 30 clicks out.
I found the pump was lean.

So, I added 15 degrees more turn on the pump adjustment, added a expansion spring to the throttle linkage, and set the needle at 24 clicks out.

Major improvment everywhere. The extra power from idle to mid makes the bike feel 80 lbs lighter. I now can lift the front wheel from a normal sitting postion first through third with just throttle.
It runs so much better, that I now want more!
Where's that HRC kit anyway??

It's weird how having it rich on the needle, yet lean on the pump would yeild a lean condition on the decel.

• husky123

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:14 PM

Sooo, you're keeping it right?

• DREWBUSH

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:14 PM

Krannie-

you are 30 clicks out from full rich? I think you and I have almost the same mods and I am at 12-14 clicks from full rich(clockwise all the way in) with the 19e. And I thought I wasnt rich enough. I might have to tinker with my carb some more. Its just a pain to unbolt the tank and adjust the needle, so I adjust it and ride it for a while and see how it feels.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:46 PM

Sooo, you're keeping it right?

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll............... :smirk: :ride: :)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:49 PM

Krannie-

you are 30 clicks out from full rich? I think you and I have almost the same mods and I am at 12-14 clicks from full rich(clockwise all the way in) with the 19e. And I thought I wasnt rich enough. I might have to tinker with my carb some more. Its just a pain to unbolt the tank and adjust the needle, so I adjust it and ride it for a while and see how it feels.

I am now 24 clicks from full lean. (from 0 out 24 clicks clockwise).
I have the adjuster top attached.
I have taken the tank off over 30 times by now.
I don't bolt anything back on when I test it, just attach the fuel line.
I leave the shrouds attached to the rad's and just unbolt from the tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:59 PM

I am now 24 clicks from full lean. (from 0 out 24 clicks clockwise).
I have the adjuster top attached.
I have taken the tank off over 30 times by now.
I don't bolt anything back on when I test it, just attach the fuel line.
I leave the shrouds attached to the rad's and just unbolt from the tank.

I thought the saying was " right rich & left lean" in other words screw down adjuster clockwise until it stops is the richest. Start turning counter-clockwise is getting leaner. Maybe there are different Edelbrocks ? Mine is on my XR600R. FWIW

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:20 PM

I thought the saying was " right rich & left lean" in other words screw down adjuster clockwise until it stops is the richest. Start turning counter-clockwise is getting leaner. Maybe there are different Edelbrocks ? Mine is on my XR600R. FWIW

Yes, clockwise increases richness on ALL Edlebrock 'quicksilver' pumper carbs.
The setting is 'out from full lean', unlike fork clickers, which are 'out from full hard', which is going the other direction CCW.

Always start leaner than you want, and head toward rich. If you start too rich, it will never start.

• DREWBUSH

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:47 PM

I know about taking the tank off many times. I actually just unbolt the tank and tip it up a little and slip my hand under. Its kind of a tight fit but I can reach the adjuster. So We may be at about the same adjustment, you are counting from full lean, and I am counting from full rich.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:52 PM

I know about taking the tank off many times. I actually just unbolt the tank and tip it up a little and slip my hand under. Its kind of a tight fit but I can reach the adjuster. So We may be at about the same adjustment, you are counting from full lean, and I am counting from full rich.

Yeah, I've adusted it a few times that way too.

• Thumpage

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Boy Krannie, you sure are making things confusing for some guys out there. Actually the proper explanation of adjusting the needle is stating from 'full rich' not from full lean. So in proper terms you are 8 clicks out from full rich. (32 total clicks of adjustment). :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.