Is my XRR clutch in need of a rebuild?

5 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 03:19 PM

This is my second XR650R. I recall the first one to have a lighter pull, and less requirement for full disengagment. Is something amis?

- I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get a clean shift (even when the lever is adjusted with no play.

- The clutch pull seems much heavier than I remember.

- Disengagement is not smooth, and not consistent.

The clutch works OK; it just seems archaic compared to my CRF. Maybe it just needs freshening up?

TIA

• martinfan30

Posted March 02, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I wonder if the basket "fingers" have become notched? Causing the plates to kind of hang up?

• Billahjack

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:21 PM

Check your basket bushing if you end up pulling it. If your bike is 2002 or older, you might want to put in a new one. They updated the design sometime in 2002 to feed more oil into the bushing.

I found that the CRF250R/450R clutches drag so much that you have to kick them over in neutral to start unless you are kicking the snot out of them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:40 PM

Well, I just played with my carb, and I got the hanging idle issue improved so much, that the clutch doesn't feel so bad anymore. Amazing how everything is connected...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:45 PM

I have had a hanging idle and a slight decel pop since I last put the Edlebrock on, so I thought I would fiddle today and solve it.
I found that the 19e needle was rich, at 30 clicks out.
I found the pump was lean.

So, I added 15 degrees more turn on the pump adjustment, added a expansion spring to the throttle linkage, and set the needle at 24 clicks out.

Major improvment everywhere. The extra power from idle to mid makes the bike feel 80 lbs lighter. I now can lift the front wheel from a normal sitting postion first through third with just throttle.
It runs so much better, that I now want more!
Where's that HRC kit anyway??

It's weird how having it rich on the needle, yet lean on the pump would yeild a lean condition on the decel.

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:09 PM

This is my second XR650R. I recall the first one to have a lighter pull, and less requirement for full disengagment. Is something amis?

- I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get a clean shift (even when the lever is adjusted with no play.

- The clutch pull seems much heavier than I remember.

- Disengagement is not smooth, and not consistent.

The clutch works OK; it just seems archaic compared to my CRF. Maybe it just needs freshening up?

TIA

i dont see how your carb setting will affect your clutch issues? idle and carb setting wont have anything to do with having issues with pulling clutch in all the way or a heavy feeling clutch. When was the last time you lubed your clutch cable? I know alot neglect that as it should be done twice a year or more if you ride alot. if you havent already i would check your basket like others already said, if the basket fingers are worn its gonna make it feel like you said some, that and a cable that either needs lubed or replaced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.