yz426 stator replacement? DIY or dealer??

3 replies to this topic
  • oceanjake

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I will be receiving a wr426 stator and flywheel this week to put on my yz426. The kid I purchased the bike from said he had tried to replace it before but that when you take the stator cover off all sorts of wires spring everywhere. I can't imagine this is the case though. Is the stator replacement something I should be able to do? I'm mechanically inclined but don't have any dirtbike experience (just cars and streetbikes).

If I were to take it to the dealer--and I really don't want to-- how many hours of labor would be reasonable for this job?

Thanks for the help!

• William1

Posted March 02, 2008 - 03:27 PM

LOL, no, the wires do not spring everywhere. They are held in place by various clamps. It is very important though, you route the wires correctly and not pinch them. Also, use a little ThreeBond on the wire grommet.
It is a one hour job, max.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oceanjake

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Thanks. Is it something that can be put in various orientations or will the new stator/flywheel go in only one direction? Does the orientation of this directly affect the spark and timing similar to a distributor?

• Birdy426

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:41 PM

Should only go in one way...the three screws that hold the stator to the case are not symmetrical, and the flywheel is obviously keyed. If in doubt, about stator orientation, the wires go toward the top (not trying to be a smart ass here). Because te WR puts out AC voltage to power the lights as well as DC for the CDI, I'm pretty sure you will need a WR voltage regulator as well as the stator and flywheel...or an aftermarket one like Trail Tech or Baja Designs if you want DC.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.