oil and water

No replies to this topic
  • dave_v

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:23 AM

I had not run the bike (01 yz426 with <100 hours) for three months, so I took it out for a quick spin around the block to get it warmed and check all the fluid levels before the riding season starts. Everything went fine until i popped the rad cap and saw the fluid had turned from green to brown. I drained the oil, which had zero hours on it, and it looks like there's water in the oil too.

So I search the archives, and the prevailing thought seems to be head gasket, followed by the base gasket and o-rings. I called the local Yamaha shop to see how much it would cost to fix a head gasket, and they suggest the following:

piston kit $150
cam chain $40
base/head gasket and o-rings etc $50
labor (4.5 hours @ $80/hr) $360

Since the engine has low hours, and has never eaten any oil, or every smoked, I was avoiding any valve work. So the total is about $600, which is not nearly as bad as I was thinking. First questions then:

1) does this seem like a reasonable parts list to solve the problem, and address other high wear items while its apart?
2) are the prices reasonable?
3) any other work/parts that would be worthwhile?

When I was talking with him about the mixing fluids, he said that he thought it might just be the water pump seals. I remember seeing a comment by greyracer that this was not possible since there are seals on both oil and coolant sides, and a weep hole to vent anything that got past either seal. Right?

Thanks guys!

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.