'07 or '06 YZ 450

10 replies to this topic
  • mike_dean

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:27 AM

I'm going to buy a left over 450, the price difference between an '06 and an '07 is $300, is there any advantage to the '07 or '06, I'll be keeping it for a while so resale is no big deal, dependability?, performance? Gray, I see you have 2 '06's any reason to purchase that over an '07? Mike

• lilyamaharacer9

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:32 AM

its pretty much how you like your power the 07s were really mellow power delivery wise and the 06s were violent for power delivery if neither sounds good for you go for the 08 which is claimed 2 be inbetween

• Ga426owner

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:33 AM

Both are very similar - I prefer power to the 06 over the 07. Both have the same steering/cornering issues. Some say buy the newest you can afford - what kind of pricing?

I would not say the 06 power is violent....that would be true for a 03. The power is very linear and there is plenty of it. The 07 tamer. And the 08 is great once you dump the stock pipe

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:09 AM

Were it me, I would spend the extra 300 bucks and buy the 07. Main reasons for that are - 1 more year of suspension development and ergonomics are better on the 07 (for me at least).

To fix the cornering "issues", raise the forks in the triple clamps 5mm and run your rear sag at 95-100mm. Terrain-specific tires might help too, although the D739 on my 07 works just fine at my local track.

• mike_dean

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, $4600, for the '06, and $4900, for the '07.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:41 PM

i'd go for the 07, they feel alot lighter and you can really flick them around compared to the 06. i have an 07 and my dad has the 06 and he will ride my bike and we amazed at how light it feels, its almost a night and day difference.

they both have plenty of power, i dropped to a 12 tooth sprocket in the front, helps for hillclimbing and trailriding, less shifting in the tight stuff, just keep it in second and you're set. before with the 13 i was shifting from 1st and 2nd all the time and it drove me nuts. and with the added 'flickability' (that would be a cool word, right?) its nice in the trails being able to toss it around like a 250f compared to the 06 its like fighting to move it.

its pretty much how you like your power the 07s were really mellow power delivery wise and the 06s were violent for power delivery if neither sounds good for you go for the 08 which is claimed 2 be inbetween

i have no clue what you are talking about but my 07 was just just about as aggressive as my dad's 06 and that wasn't even bad compared to his old 03.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:05 PM

... the 07s were really mellow power delivery wise and the 06s were violent for power delivery ...

That's funny :smirk:

I clearly remember the press and rider feedback on the '06 when it came out. It was said to be "soft", "sluggish", "too mellow", etc., etc., ad infinitum. Everyone thought it was slower than the '04, even though the dyno showed the '04 with 48 hp, and the '06 with 50. And interestingly, the '06 produced lower lap times than most of its "more powerful" competitors.

Ga said it. The '06 and '07 are nearly the same. The cam timing is a little different, with the '07 having a little less low end, and a little more top. The '08, as delivered, has more top end than either of them, but has the low end softened even more by the pipe it comes with. Swap the pipe and it has as much low end as the '06 to go with the extra top end power. Not even close to being in between the '06 and '07.

But back to the topic. The differences between the '06 and '07 are subtle. The power thing is there, and the stock '07 suspension is a little stiffer than the stock '06. A casual rider would perhaps be happier with an '06. A really fast rider who liked to rev the engine more than use the torque, and who, for some reason could not modify either bike might be more satisfied with the '07. I bought my first '06 new in '06, and my second one used in September last year because it was the best deal I could get at the time.

Everything being completely equal, I think I'd prefer the '06 for its suspension and power characteristics. You might not.

• todds924

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:19 PM

That's funny :smirk:

I clearly remember the press and rider feedback on the '06 when it came out. It was said to be "soft", "sluggish", "too mellow", etc., etc., ad infinitum. Everyone thought it was slower than the '04, even though the dyno showed the '04 with 48 hp, and the '06 with 50. And interestingly, the '06 produced lower lap times than most of its "more powerful" competitors.

Ga said it. The '06 and '07 are nearly the same. The cam timing is a little different, with the '07 having a little less low end, and a little more top. The '08, as delivered, has more top end than either of them, but has the low end softened even more by the pipe it comes with. Swap the pipe and it has as much low end as the '06 to go with the extra top end power. Not even close to being in between the '06 and '07.

But back to the topic. The differences between the '06 and '07 are subtle. The power thing is there, and the stock '07 suspension is a little stiffer than the stock '06. A casual rider would perhaps be happier with an '06. A really fast rider who liked to rev the engine more than use the torque, and who, for some reason could not modify either bike might be more satisfied with the '07. I bought my first '06 new in '06, and my second one used in September last year because it was the best deal I could get at the time.

Everything being completely equal, I think I'd prefer the '06 for its suspension and power characteristics. You might not.

I have not ridden or raced an 07, but having both an 06 and 08 <just sold the 06> I think if i had to do it over again i would get an old leftover brand new 06 and put the money i saved into it rather than buying the 08.

• mike_dean

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm more of a mid range guy, my son rides my 426 and bounces the rev limiter just like his 250, I wouldn't do that, a little less aggression I guess. Mike

• casperkc

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:12 PM

I have a stock 06 with a WB 96db and sparky and my buddy has a stock 07 with a full carbon pro system and WE both like my 06 better. There is a difference in the power delivery. Other than that riding the 07 was like riding my bike with stock bars. The 06 just feels more snappy.

• minojmz

Posted March 05, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, $4600, for the '06, and $4900, for the '07.

are these pricings for the new ones?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.