Just turned Blue from Red !

23 replies to this topic
  • mightymart

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:17 AM

I have just turned Blue after years of being Red.
Since I was 12 (Now 38 ) Most of my bikes have been Honda but after owning a heavy weight XR650R with no eletric leg it was time to change & the CRF450X has far to many issues to be a reliable on/off road bike.
I rode a friends 04 WR450 a few weeks ago & it took me straight back to the days of ripping up my CR250, I felt I could do Travis Pastrana style jumps :smirk: all right maybe not ! but the thought was there.
Heres my new baby, Has an inch cut out of the seat, Perfect as I am tall but have short legs, Heated grips for Britsh winter & those cool Blue rims !
Posted Image

• kskyles

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:47 AM

welcome to the WR450 brotherhood. sounds like you love your bike as much as everyone else who owns one.

i like those blue rims. i've been thinking about getting a set of those since my OEM rims on the '05 are starting to get dented up.

• MojaveThumper

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:02 AM

Welcome to the darkside....

The WR 4fiddy is an awesome machine. Many hours of happy riding to you.

• tweav

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:17 AM

I have just turned Blue after years of being Red.
Since I was 12 (Now 38 ) Most of my bikes have been Honda but after owning a heavy weight XR650R with no eletric leg it was time to change & the CRF450X has far to many issues to be a reliable on/off road bike.
I rode a friends 04 WR450 a few weeks ago & it took me straight back to the days of ripping up my CR250, I felt I could do Travis Pastrana style jumps :smirk: all right maybe not ! but the thought was there.
Heres my new baby, Has an inch cut out of the seat, Perfect as I am tall but have short legs, Heated grips for Britsh winter & those cool Blue rims !
Posted Image

how did you hook up the heater on the throttle side ? got pics . I've been trying to work that out on mine.

• djrevz

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:12 AM

what year is that one?

• tweav

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:25 AM

I would guess it's a 07 like mine . I would not think a 08 would be that modded yet. also the clutch cover on a 08 is black

• Seabass

Posted March 02, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Welcome to the family!

• mightymart

Posted March 02, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Yes its a 07.
I also got the normal silver wheels with it too. So the blue rims are for best ! lol
I have no idea how the heated grips are rigged up as I only got it Saturday afternoon, All i can see is a wire that goes under the grips & a on off switch on the bars. Will post pics tomorrow.

• mightymart

Posted March 02, 2008 - 03:10 PM

I was sorry to see it go, but the 2 bikes are worlds apart for what I want it for. On the dirt its more rider than bike, When I was young i thought I was pretty good on a bike but some of the even younger lads on 80cc bikes used to whoop me & I was on a 250, But I have always rode for fun, the younger lads raced week in week out.
Yes the 650 has more power but it is a 650, More reliable ? yes you are probably right but the reason for chooseing the WR is because its reputation as being a reliable bike !

Posted Image

• MountainMax

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:46 PM

Welcome to team blue. I too love those rims, and those heated grips would have been good today as it was -20c here when i was out for a ride on the snow, i had to come home when my hands were almost froze, brrrrrr.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nfoley

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:56 PM

I switched from XR650R also, and haven't once regretted it. Wish I would have done it years ago!!
For what I do the WR450 is so much better. And the e start had nothing to do with my decision - only a bonus.

• toadrider

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:30 PM

how do you cut one inch out off the seat?

• 426boy

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:58 PM

how do you cut one inch out off the seat?

take the seat off, turn it upside down, pull the staples that fasten the seat cover, remove the seat cover. then just carve away the desired amount of foam, using a knife, electric turkey carving knife, saw, grinder ect. then heat the cover up and stretch it back over and restaple. and your good to go.

• wr_matt

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:04 PM

Welcome to the darkside :ride:

I learned on a CR250. Once I tried my friends YZ250 that was it. Ol' red just wasn't the same.

When I was looking to bet back into the sport I couldn't think of anything but the new WR. I've loved every minute of it. :smirk: :) :ride:

• motocross_mike

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:19 PM

Just did the change myself from a 1990 XR600 to a 2005 WR450. First real ride on it yesterday. Sore arse here as the seat on the WR is like an ironing board compared to the lounge chair of the XR seat.
(got to learn to stand up more)

see ya and enjoy the blue bike

• chevytrkn1

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:06 AM

i also jumped from red to Blue last year and could not be happier, welcome

• EvoChris

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:40 AM

I too am in the UK (Kent and 38 years also) and have found the WR450 to be perfect for off road and on (cover about 500 miles off and 200 on road per year) Mines an 03 and apart form a water pump leak (£1.50 seal) its been awesome.
My Xr400 was too heavy and felt like a 600 which was a revelation when i got the 450 Yam. Its a great machine, keep the oils changed and you will be rewarded with non stop :)
Also love the rims but cant see myself spending another £500 on rims yet, the missus will go dooolaaaaaley as i have a couple of bikes already!:smirk: Have fun and ride safe, i feel like Evel Knevel on mine sometimes (always kicks me back into shape!) Only thing is mine eats rear tyres (120 miles max) and drinks fuel like its free!
have fun
Chris

• mightymart

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:23 AM

I too am in the UK (Kent and 38 years also) and have found the WR450 to be perfect for off road and on (cover about 500 miles off and 200 on road per year) Mines an 03 and apart form a water pump leak (£1.50 seal) its been awesome.
My Xr400 was too heavy and felt like a 600 which was a revelation when i got the 450 Yam. Its a great machine, keep the oils changed and you will be rewarded with non stop :eek:
Also love the rims but cant see myself spending another £500 on rims yet, the missus will go dooolaaaaaley as i have a couple of bikes already!:thumbsup: Have fun and ride safe, i feel like Evel Knevel on mine sometimes (always kicks me back into shape!) Only thing is mine eats rear tyres (120 miles max) and drinks fuel like its free!
have fun
Chris

Hi Chris, Where in Kent are you ? Im in Dartford.

• EvoChris

Posted March 05, 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hi mightymart, Im near Rochester, a place called Cliffewoods very easy to reach from the M2/A2, we have a great large wooded area next to where i live. Perhaps when the weather improves we will have to get together for a run, always ride with a mate from Gravesend, he rides a DR350.....:thumbsup: More the merrier!!

• nfoley

Posted March 09, 2008 - 01:45 PM

I also went from XR650R to WR450 about 6 months ago. Haven't looked back yet. My 03 runs like a champ, and haven't had a single problem yet! The only time I think the XR650R would be better are on the long open roads, but only a slight advantage.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.