new rings

1 reply to this topic
  • steed2

Posted March 01, 2008 - 05:47 PM

well i did a leak down test on my 04 xr650r and the rings were leaking so this morning i threw some new rings in it ...what a beautiful job .
total time 2.5 hours and she started up on the second kick ;
I am going out to the lake tomorrow to break it in and test it
I couldn't believe how the engine looked internally it was mint.
Probably didn't even need rings but i had them hangin around so what the hell . Also i have decided not to oil the air filter for the rest of the winter i should be fine as there is no dust in the air at all...sleds dont require filter oil ...do you guys think it will yeild any gains?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 01, 2008 - 10:54 PM

Also i have decided not to oil the air filter for the rest of the winter i should be fine as there is no dust in the air at all...sleds dont require filter oil ...do you guys think it will yeild any gains?

You need to oil that filter, and grease the sealing edge, no matter how 'little dust there is in the air'. The particles of dust are always there, and they will destroy your engine. This is not a small block chevy with huge design tolerences that can handle the extra junk in the fuel mixture.
Oh sure, you can get a change in top end, and throttle response. But it's not worth it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.