Most reliable 3/4 ton truck

30 replies to this topic
  • mdlktm70

Posted March 01, 2008 - 04:32 PM

Im going to be buying a used truck within the next year and am not sure which one to get. I have had several friends who have had problems with there Dodge ram 2500's and F-250. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with there trucks?

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:02 PM

well, this was on the window of my '06 silverado 2500HD when I picked it up:

Posted Image :smirk:

Honestly, I think all 3 companys are making pretty solid 2500/3500 trucks these days, I'd rank GM and ford (pretty much tied) ahead of dodge, but they're all lightyears better than the halfton offerings.

• hawkster

Posted March 02, 2008 - 04:36 AM

You're going to get different opinions since everyone will tell you what they own is the best. The best idea is to drive them all and pick the one you like the best. And maintain it well. I'm sure you will if you spend big $$$ on a diesel pickup. I wouldn't get one if I wasn't pulling some weight though. A good half ton gasser will work well for smaller loads and is cheaper.

• usmcpaul

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:52 AM

Need more specifics relating to what you are looking for and what it will be used for/ your likes and dislikes. Even then, there will be a number of different opinions.

Heres what I have, and I have not had any trouble in 35k. 2006 Ram 2500 extended cab, 6spd trans, and the 5.9L Cummins. I know for a fact (I was a trans and axle tech for Dodge, and so is my brother in law)that this is the most trouble-free engine /trans combo Dodge makes, however; with the price of diesel these days and the initial cost of the Cummins option (5K), it will be nearly impossible for me to justify the cost.

The Dodge autos are better than they used to be, but still not the best. (GM's Allison is the best auto trans)

I bought it just because I like the Cummins engine and I like the sound. The engine and trans combo will outlast the body here in Michigan, so I guess I'm set until the body falls off. I get about 17 city and 22 hwy, driving conservativly, and I like shifting it even when I get caught in traffic.

• mdlktm70

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:44 PM

I will be using the truck to pull a 7X14 enclosed trailer and hopefully plow in the winter.

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 03, 2008 - 12:13 AM

I will be using the truck to pull a 7X14 enclosed trailer and hopefully plow in the winter.

Well, that removes the Chevy from the list-IFS and plows is never a good combo.

The trailer (unless you plan on transporting lead bars) could be towed by most half tons.

• nap__kxf

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:04 AM

if it wasn'\t for an extended warranty, my dad's 05 f250 powerstroke would have cost us a bit, about 99k the high pressure oil pump went out, then 200miles before 100k the "egr cooler" hadto be replaced. the mechanic at the ford dealership said it was dumping coolant into the exhaust and thus causing enormous amounts of white smoke.

sadly though, no one we have talked to since has even heard of the egr cooler.

other than that its been good so far, and we pull a 38ft toyhauler periodically and she pulls fine. with the overload springs it'll drop the 3/4 ton truck about 1-2" and its about 2500lbs on the hitch

• pfunk

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:21 AM

nobody noticed??

and to back up CH, get the ford, Ive seen tooo many chevs with saggy fronts because they plow, you need the solid axle and gm voids your warranty if you plow with a crew (can plow with extended cab,,,,,but not recomended)

• usmcpaul

Posted March 03, 2008 - 12:29 PM

I remember the E4OD transmissions for the Fords used to be real tough, But I don't have any current information. I have always had Dodges, but Ford would be my second choice for a plow truck. As far as G.M. goes, I do not like the way they sit,(too low) but I don't have any hard facts as to why they would not make a good plow truck.

Just drive them and see which one you like better.

• RudyF6

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:50 PM

[quote name='chickenhauler']Well, that removes the Chevy from the list-IFS and plows is never a good combo.QUOTE]

'97 and prior Ford F250's also. The TTB front was OK for ride/handling, but sucked for carrying a plow.

• ISBB

Posted March 03, 2008 - 02:38 PM

the E40D's in fords were the ones to stay away from.. I went thru 3 in my 92 3/4 ton 4wd with a 351W in it..

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 03, 2008 - 04:45 PM

'97 and prior Ford F250's also. The TTB front was OK for ride/handling, but sucked for carrying a plow.

Actually, it sucked for just about everything. :smirk:

Rode like crap, handled like crap, wouldn't make it off the alignment rack still in spec, and was a parts eater, and diff seals were a major undertaking.

• pfunk

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:45 AM

the old ford 1 ton single rear wheel had a straight axle up front (not the split garabage),,, freind has the split front and never seen a plow, it has been rebuild 2 times completly in 180K miles,,,not to mention it chews up the tires

• rezrider

Posted March 08, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Im going to be buying a used truck within the next year and am not sure which one to get. I have had several friends who have had problems with there Dodge ram 2500's and F-250. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with there trucks?

If you look behind any "NEW CAR" dealership you'll see a shop (get my point?)... Like in sports, any given team can beat any other team (eg: Giants vs PAT's) on any given day. If you take care of your vehicles they'll be good to you. Your vehicle is as strong as it's weakest link. I work for a "pre-owned" dealership and have heard about every reason why not to buy every type of car/truck on the road...I drive a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 because i like the comfort of the seats on long drives. I've owned a Dodge Hemi 2500HD...hauled nothing but A$$, Prior to that nothing but Fords because they were the first to come out with everything i wanted at the time.

Happy hunting!

• willie

Posted March 08, 2008 - 03:56 PM

If fuel keeps going up you should be able to get an almost new slightly used extended cab V8 4X4 for about 1000 bucks!!!

• TWILES

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:01 AM

I'm scared of buying used 3/4 ton trucks. Just about all the ones I've looked at that weren't completely worn out were traded or being sold for a 1 ton. I probably would worry as much about the brand but what kind of shape its in for the money. I bought a 99 Ford 3/4 with the 7.3 and it was "blue oval certified". The only problem was the near-bald tires. I put 60,000 from 85,000 to the 145,000 it had when I traded it. The trans started to howl about that time. Just be carefull and don't end up buying someone elses JUNK.

• Cpres

Posted March 11, 2008 - 09:03 PM

When you said plow I am thinking that you need a straight front axle, like many have said pick the color with the options and maintain it. I would lean towards the 7.3 powerstroke ford in a one ton and be down with it if I could find a good used one that I liked.

• Farmr123

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Avoid the 6.0 Powerstroke.
Other than that, they have plusses and minusses, but for HD use I prefer a straight front axle.
In MY opinion, (I'm giving it to you for free, so that is all it is worth) the most reliable truck would be a Dodge Cummins with the mechanical fuel pump and manual transmission. The weak link on these is the overdrive gear in the tranny, and it can be fixed for about $500 plus labor (people would tow loads in overdrive using the low RPM torque of the Cummins, and overload the OD gear, loosening the nut holding it onto the shaft, but there is a permanent fix for that now).
I know a guy who had one that went a little over 800,000 miles. He put in 2 clutches, and about 50 sets of front brakes (the older Dodges seem to eat front brakes every 50-70,000 miles) The engine had never been touched. When the overdrive went out (when it goes, the truck is still drivable, just not in overdrive) the same time the clutch did, he sold the engine out of it for $2500.
The ones with the electronic controlled injection pump are not as reliable long-term. They are more finicky about the fuel put in them, and if the lift pump fails, it usually takes out the injection pump. On the old mechanical pumps, if the lift pump fails, it just won't start, and rarely does extra damage.
Just be sure to fix the 'killer dowel pin' in the 94-98 model years ($200) and they will run until the body falls off.

• 06-450X

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:22 PM

I've owned a Ford F250, Dodge 2500 in the last 5 years. And now a Chevy 2500HD 6.0 with the tow package. The big difference for me, is the Chevy rides as close as your going to get to a car like ride. I didnt own any of them over 50K. So I cant speak on longevity. I pull a 6X12 enclosed trailer with at least 2 bikes. I also pull a 16 foot tandem axle car trailer with a jeep on it to Moab, Rubicon, ect without any issues what so ever. All 3 makes got about the same gas mileage. 10-12 average. :confused: The price you pay for having a 3/4 ton.

• begeberg

Posted April 12, 2008 - 03:17 PM

On how well you take care of it. It's a machine and is only as good as the owner's care of it. I would avoid a ford 6.0 unless it's a 2005 or later. The ambulance companies have had terrible luck with them and now have switched to Chevy's. The Cummins is by far the closest thing to a real diesel in a 3/4 ton truck and will easily outlast the Ford and Chevy witha duty cycle of 350K miles. Go out to fleabay and see the miles all the different brands have for sale, you won't find many fords or Chevys with more than 200K but several dodge Cummins. I have a 2005 dodge with 6 speed NV5600 and researched a bunch before purchasing. It does not ride like my friends Chevy Duramax but is on par with the Ford. Get 20MPG at 72MPH so am happy. Just remember to change fuel filters and don't modify it!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.