lost weight now xr feels like a pig

13 replies to this topic
  • Pilate74

Posted March 01, 2008 - 04:30 PM

I have lost 45lbs. My XR650R feels so much fatter. I think I am going to motard the xr and ride my yammie 250 off road now. I used to be able to lift the 650 really easy, after the weight loss I have a hard time lifting myself. I will never sell the xr but I am going to have to workout to be able to ride the pig. Anybody else have my problem?

• steed2

Posted March 01, 2008 - 05:36 PM

I dont have the same issue as that but i must say that i do have to work to move my pig around and load/unload the bike...but when im on the bike i can go like hell....its all in your head you just have to change your mind set...
I am 6'0" and weigh 165 lbs...so i am quite the feather weight. all though i am alot faster on my 06 crf450..well maybe not faster but it is definately alot more forgiving to my all to often mistakes....lol:prof:

• Gilkerson

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Did you lose weight by just not eating as much? If so, then you will lose muscle and energy. If you lost weight by eating correctly and exercise then you should still be able to lift the XR just as easily or better than before.

• gearloos

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:58 PM

I agree, you must have lost a lot of muscle mass because otherwise I would think your bike would feel much faster if anything as it has 45 pounds less to haul around... I know it's not unsprung weight so not as nimble but still a bit of speed when you whack to open.

• dstark

Posted March 01, 2008 - 09:44 PM

Did you lose weight by just not eating as much? If so, then you will lose muscle and energy. If you lost weight by eating correctly and exercise then you should still be able to lift the XR just as easily or better than before.

Excellent point

• Pilate74

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:33 AM

I think you are right about the muscle loss. I had no choice about the weight loss. I had to get it off fast as I was starting to get diabetic diseases. Now that I am 45lbs lighter I can do cardio much longer and ride a lot better. The best thing of all is my BP being normal 120/80 today. I am still fat, but now I do not have any health problems related to being fat.

• steed2

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:40 AM

good for you ...keep up the good work

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gilkerson

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:04 AM

I think you are right about the muscle loss. I had no choice about the weight loss. I had to get it off fast as I was starting to get diabetic diseases. Now that I am 45lbs lighter I can do cardio much longer and ride a lot better. The best thing of all is my BP being normal 120/80 today. I am still fat, but now I do not have any health problems related to being fat.

Glad to hear your getting better.

• lilbro

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Good job on the weight loss. I was over 400lbs about 2 years ago. now I am 350ish and feel a lot better. Hit the protein, good fats and ride more. Thats my recipe.

• AaronBrown

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:47 AM

If you have the means you need to go see a personal trainer if even only for a little while. You can get your strength back while continuing to lose weight. You need to get a nutrition+cardiovascular+resistance training plan. As you continue to lose muscle mass your metabolism will slow down and make it harder and harder to lose weight. I may be biased because I am a trainer so take advice with a grain of salt. If you cannot see a trainer there are lots of good books and web resources out there but having all of that wrapped up in one person who will also correct your form while you workout is pretty valuable and time saving.

• Medic63

Posted March 02, 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hey there--Congrats? on weight loss, but agree--after losing weight (if it's fat loss) you should feel stronger, lighter, etc. That's from personal experience. Problem with most lame diets is emphasis on "weight loss" without any regard to "what" you're losing.

• Billahjack

Posted March 02, 2008 - 01:58 PM

I have lost 45lbs. My XR650R feels so much fatter. I think I am going to motard the xr and ride my yammie 250 off road now. I used to be able to lift the 650 really easy, after the weight loss I have a hard time lifting myself. I will never sell the xr but I am going to have to workout to be able to ride the pig. Anybody else have my problem?

I don't know what you are talking about. I usually wake up and go out to the garage to bench press my 650R just to start out the day. :smirk:

Its a heavy bike. Just ride it, you'll get used to it again.

• Pilate74

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:30 PM

I don't know what you are talking about. I usually wake up and go out to the garage to bench press my 650R just to start out the day. :smirk:

Its a heavy bike. Just ride it, you'll get used to it again.

I could probably get it up (650R) once or twice before the weight loss. I used to stab my turbo 400 tranny in my race care without a hoist. I will get it back. I am doing the low carb diet with 5-6 really small meals a day. Most of my recent loss has been fat as my cloths are to big and the scale has not moved much.I am trying to rebuild myself into an endurance guy. I really want to try some off road racing and the big fat beer belly was holding me back. I have to lose 25 more pounds to get into the normal body fat range. I bought the XR with the feeling that it was a big guys bike. I do not want to be a big guy anymore. I really love the bike an have a lotta $$$ in the fat guy suspension. It feels so stiff now and I need to reset the sag. I am going to let my weight stabilize before I do the suspension again. Thanks for the support guys.

• NX800S

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:51 AM

Anyone interested in losing weight and gaining muscle ought to check out CrossFit, it's free: http://www.crossfit.com/

I'm 46 and 4 years ago weighed 275, 6'5" now 225. CrossFit has really helped and the exercise routines are vastly varied so it has kept my interest. I did it for health and easier elk hunting but it sure has helped with the BRP too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.