Power and longevity XR650L

6 replies to this topic
  • rontheman13

Posted March 01, 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have done the search and have a couple of questions. I want to do the power mods I just don’t want to have to rebuild my bike every couple of years. This bike is not a race bike but I would like to have more power when I need it. I’m looking at going with the high compression piston, cam and a FCR 41 carb. I currently have XR’s only full exhaust, 14/48 sprocket, and Dave’s mods 55/160 jets. I only have 200 miles on the bike and want more power. This is my 3rd XR and I love them. It just doesn’t seem to have the power of my older bikes after carb and pipe mods. I don’t think I want to bore the cylinder. If I go with the above mods I’m sure I will like the power, but will it reduce the bikes longevity much? With the FCR41 which cam and Hi comp piston do you recommend? Thanks

• cleonard

Posted March 01, 2008 - 11:36 AM

There is no denying that a hicomp piston and a different cam put higher loads on the engine components. How much reduction in life really depends on how you use it. Not overly abused I would still expect it to outlast several CRF450's. In stock form the 650L can be a very long lived bike. Do some searches and you will find reports of more than 50,000 miles. Say if cuts the life by 60%. That would still be 20,000 miles. How long would that last you?

Have you done the "free" mods yet(Dave's mod)? If not it would be worthwhile to try. They help more than you might think.

• martinfan30

Posted March 01, 2008 - 12:27 PM

I run an FCR41, Hotcam stage 1, E2 series exhaust. I am very happy! Makes great mid and top end. Bottom end hasnt changed.

If you put it together clean and correctly, maintain it well(I change oil/filter every 1k. miles) I dont see why it wont last a long time.

Like Cl says, it depends on how you treat it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • truck6driver

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:06 PM

The power of the "L" can be deceptive compared to say the XR400. The power comes on smooth and constant. It does not have the snap your neck sudden power burst like the small displacement bikes. I thought the "L" was a lame duck until I rode with some other bikes then saw just how the bike performed. I quit worring about it. I'm not running a High comp piston but it is .050 over sized and have had no reliablity issues. Pushing close to 30k.

Ray

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:07 AM

The power of the "L" can be deceptive compared to say the XR400. The power comes on smooth and constant. It does not have the snap your neck sudden power burst like the small displacement bikes. I thought the "L" was a lame duck until I rode with some other bikes then saw just how the bike performed. I quit worring about it. I'm not running a High comp piston but it is .050 over sized and have had no reliablity issues. Pushing close to 30k.

Ray

This is really obvious on snotty, tight, rocky etc. trails.

The L just has a little power applied, all the time, goes nice and smooth, and smaller bikes are on-the-gas, off-the-gas, fast-slow-fast-slow.

Its kinda like wimpy and brutus going through the stoplights, if anyone else here remembers that far back...

Dave

• ghrati ghoti

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:42 AM

This is really obvious on snotty, tight, rocky etc. trails.

The L just has a little power applied, all the time, goes nice and smooth, and smaller bikes are on-the-gas, off-the-gas, fast-slow-fast-slow.

Its kinda like wimpy and brutus going through the stoplights, if anyone else here remembers that far back...

Dave

Ack-ga-ga-ga-ga:busted:

• pwrpapa

Posted March 06, 2008 - 11:21 AM

I would keep it all stock. my 02.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.