Starting a 07 WR

14 replies to this topic
  • mightymart

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:52 AM

I have just brought home my new WR450 07 & wanted to know the corect drill for starting from cold, warm & when you fall off !!!.
The bloke I bought it of told me not to use the little lever (Thought this was the decompression lever ?) when starting from cold only to use when hot ?.
The reason for asking is that my friend has a 04 WR & always startes it hot or cold with the little lever in, as starting with the lever out burns out the starter ???

• Bullwinkle

Posted March 01, 2008 - 07:08 AM

That little lever is the hot start device. I think it's supposed to work by allowing a little extra cooler air into the intake. The WR's haven't had a manual decomp since (I think) '02.
As far as how to start it, you'll get as many answers to that question as you would if you asked what's the best boot to buy. My experience has always been to try the different ways (blip the throttle, don't blip the throttle, etc., etc., etc.) and see what works best for you. Since everybodys starter is turning a little different and everybodys kicking with a little different force I think the answer to what works best ends up being different. Just my .02 worth.
Have fun.
:smirk:

• mightymart

Posted March 01, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Thanks, I just dont want to burn out the starter motor before I go for a good blast out on it.
I just went out to have a tinker about with it & started from cold no probs with choke (No lever), then turned off when warm & tried to start again & it just went click ! put lever in & fired up straight away ? I take it this is right ?.
I know people have different ways of starting there bikes because I have just sold a XR650R to buy this one, Now starting that is a different ball game all together ! but once you know how to do it its a piece of cake.

• beezer

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:17 AM

If the jetting is right it should start with the choke on. When it's cold out I hit the throttle a few times. When it's real cold I lay the bike on it's side for a few seconds to flood the float bowl.

• yamahead01

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:37 AM

the lever is called a hot start lever and that is exactly what it is my 07 jetting is spot on and I have found that it does seem to labor a little when hot if not using the lever so I tend to use it as habit only hot and it works great although most guys I ride with never use it at all.Try it and see what works best for you dont worry about your starter that is mostly rumer.

• Kirkster

Posted March 01, 2008 - 01:37 PM

I find I usually have to use the Hot start when the bike is hot. 2 blips of the throttle when it is cold. Sometimes 3 if things don't fire up.

Other than that it always fires...

• mightymart

Posted March 01, 2008 - 03:18 PM

When starting from cold, do you start & push cold start knob straight away or wait till warm (2/3minutes) then push cold start knob back in ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ANGRYSHERIFF

Posted March 01, 2008 - 04:42 PM

I have an 07 WR450. Mine starts best as follows:

Cold:
Choke all the way out (obviously)
Hot start lever not engaged
Throttle completely closed
Press and hold E-start for a couple of seconds
Repeat this a time or two and she'll start right up

Hot:
Choke all the way in (again.. obviously)
Hot lever engaged
Will start right up

Hope this helps.

• Kirkster

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:17 PM

I usually wait a min or two to push the choke back in.

• mightymart

Posted March 02, 2008 - 04:42 AM

I have an 07 WR450. Mine starts best as follows:

Cold:
Choke all the way out (obviously)
Hot start lever not engaged
Repeat this a time or two and she'll start right up

Hot:
Choke all the way in (again.. obviously)
Hot lever engaged
Will start right up

Hope this helps.

Do you also keep choke out for a minute or two or push straight back in after starting ?

Perfect, Thanks.
What about if you fall off ? only that when I came off my XR650R I had to turn off kill switch & petrol & kick 10/15 with decompression lever in, Turn it all back on, do the drill ! & it would fire up straight away, Basically if it floods what do you do ?

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:30 AM

When starting from cold, do you start & push cold start knob straight away or wait till warm (2/3minutes) then push cold start knob back in ?

hi mightymart, UK here as well. My 07 is a turd to start cold. With the choke open i let the bike idle for about 30 seconds. The sound of a 'high reving' cold engine freaks me out slightly so i close the choke pretty quick and just let the bike idle for a few minutes.

• rubberband-man

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Manual says --from cold, with button in off position, pull out choke, three twists on throttle, kick it a few times, push "on" button, and let it rip. it'll start right up. (that's for kick starting). Mine just fires up with the electric start every time. It never sits much though, and here in Las Vegas, I don't think I really experience what "cold" is.

• mightymart

Posted March 02, 2008 - 03:23 PM

hi mightymart, UK here as well. My 07 is a turd to start cold. With the choke open i let the bike idle for about 30 seconds. The sound of a 'high reving' cold engine freaks me out slightly so i close the choke pretty quick and just let the bike idle for a few minutes.

Manual says --from cold, with button in off position, pull out choke, three twists on throttle, kick it a few times, push "on" button, and let it rip. it'll start right up. (that's for kick starting). Mine just fires up with the electric start every time. It never sits much though, and here in Las Vegas, I don't think I really experience what "cold" is.

Hi tarmac, I agree the high reving freaks me too, Dont realy like hearing a cold bike rev high.

Rubberman: Thanks for pointing out that you dont experience the cold :smirk: lol But it is starting to warm up here :)

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:42 AM

i guess i should rtfm. I tried the 'three twists' and bobs your uncle it fired up after a few kicks. happy times.

cheers.

• ANGRYSHERIFF

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:00 PM

When I start my 07 WR cold I leave the choke on for about 10 seconds (give or take) after it starts. I leave the choke on just long enough that when I turn it off, the bike will idle on it's own.

As for when I crash and need to start it again, I kick it with no throttle a couple of times to try and burn out any extra fuel in the cylinder. Then I hit the e-start (with hot lever) and she fires right up.

Important note: On older bikes and all two strokes, if it's flooded you can usually get it started by kicking it with the throttle wide open.

DO NOT do this with your WR. If you kick start it with the throttle wide open, it's liable to kick back at you with enough compression to seriously injure and/or break your ankle (especially if you don't have riding boots on) Also, do not electric start it with the throttle wide open because if it backfires while you got e-start engaged, it could break the teeth and/or motor on your e-start. Good luck, hope this helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.