2001 YZ426 woods ready?

4 replies to this topic
  • brianO1YZ426

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:34 PM

Are there any major things that need to be done to my bike to get it ready for trail riding? Could I have fun with the stock setup, or would I be fighting the bike like I did with my friends cr250? I'm not looking for a fast woods bike just a user friendly bike to learn on.:smirk:

• muffinman

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:44 PM

I TRIED to learn on a 426:eek: was way 2 much bike for me, lol.ride a little wr 250f now and am way happier:ride: but just get some barkbusters, bash plate and radiater braces and the bike should be good 2 go:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brianO1YZ426

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:06 PM

well im about 6'1 240 so i need the extra torque. I had a kdx 220 about 10 years ago, but I have not been on a bike that I owned for about 9 years.(maybe a total of 3 hours in the last 9 years) What kind of guards do you think are the best.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 01, 2008 - 01:37 AM

I'm 6'4" and have an 02 YZ426F setup for woods and desert. I would just start with adding hand guards, skid plate, radiator guards, and lower gearing. At 6'1" you might feel like your cramped while standing. Start with taller bars first and do the seat and pegs later if you still need more room. A kickstand is nice so you don't have to look for a tree to prop your bike against. The rear disk guard is good if there's a lot of rocks and boulders on the trails you ride. If your still having stalling problems after changing the front sprocket to a 13 tooth consider changing the rear to a 50 or 51. You can add a flywheel weight to mellow out the hit of the motor and get the rear wheel to hook up better. If your budget allows I would get a Rekluse Pro over the flywheel weight. A steering damper really helps and has saved me a few times. The stock suspension is setup for about a 170lbs rider. I would definitely get the suspension setup with off road valving and stiffer springs for your weight at some point.

Hand guards- Cycra Probend w/triple clamp mounts or Bonz mounts
Skidplate- Flatland Racing(aluminum) or Hyde Racing(teflon/co-polymer plastic)
Radiator Guards- Flatland Racing
Lower Gearing- 13 front w/stock 49 rear(for technical single track w/switchbacks)

Optional depending on your height
Tall bars- ProTaper Pastrana FMX
Tall/soft seat- Guts Racing or SDG
Lower foot pegs- Fastway F5 or F6

Nice to have but not mandatory
Kickstand- Pro Moto Billet or Trail Tech
Rear disk guard- Scotts Performance Sharkfin
Flywheel weight- Steathly Offroad or Zip Ty Racing

If budget allows
Steering Stabilizer- Scotts Performance
Auto clutch- Rekluse Pro
Suspension setup for off road w/springs for your weight

• brianO1YZ426

Posted March 02, 2008 - 12:17 AM

thanks man ill be sure to get some of that stuff i am on a budget so ill pick and choose from the list:thumbsup:

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.