yz450f springs and revalve

14 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:47 PM

I just got my forks and hock back from a local suspension shop. This guy does suspension for an AMA pro team in supercross. I wasnt really sure what the price was going to be and when he was done I got a bill for $590 bucks. I asked around and that seems to be normal. Here is how it breaks down tell me what you think. I weigh 220lbs and am a fast C slow B rider.
Fork revalve - $175
Shock revalve - $150
Fork springs - $100 (.49kg)
Shock spring - $100 (5.6kg)
maxima fork oil - $15.99
maxima shock oil - $12.99

Here is a question I have. I see he put a grey titanium spring back on my shock and gave me back my old one. He said it was for a different bike and it was a new spring. I know the titanium springs are big bucks but do they come in this spring rate? I noticed there was a pink ink mark at the bottom. I hope its not the same spring rate I have now. But if its the right spring rate I guess I got a deal.

Posted Image

This is the kind of stuff I am jumping on old clapped out 2006 stock suspension. I am hoping this will be money well spent. I have really sore wrists and flat landing stuff at 220lbs really hurts. I have never had modified suspension but I am really excited to get on the track with it. I hope the clickers are set up ok because this is so foreign to me.

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:37 PM

Let me suggest that you try a magnet on your "titanium spring". I very seriously doubt that you got one for $100.

• djtroy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:53 PM

Let me suggest that you try a magnet on your "titanium spring". I very seriously doubt that you got one for $100.

Well he did say I was a lucky SOB for him giving that to me. It really looks just like the stock one. I was hoping someone would know if the ti spring came in the 5.6kg spring rate.
He said he got it for someone else but they never picked it up so he hooked me up with it. I would like to think he would do that for me. :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:13 PM

If it turns out to be non-magnetic, and has a pink mark on it, it is the standard 5.5 kg/mm spring that comes on an '06 (1C3-22212-50).

• djtroy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:17 PM

If it turns out to be non-magnetic, and has a pink mark on it, it is the standard 5.5 kg/mm spring that comes on an '06 (1C3-22212-50).

It defiantly has a pink mark on the bottom of the spring. Its definitely titanium too, im almost 100% he even told me it was titanium. I know it has a pink mark though. Does this mean he screwed me? I want to be sure before I go in there waving my finger.
Now that I think about it why would he give me a titanium spring for $100????
Unless it was some old stocker laying around.
He said it was for an "older bike" too.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:12 AM

I'm going by what you have told me and by the information on page 7-18 in the '06 manual.

• djtroy

Posted March 01, 2008 - 09:02 AM

I'm going by what you have told me and by the information on page 7-18 in the '06 manual.

So do you think it could have a pink mark be an older spring and still be a 5.6kg spring rate? Or did I get hosed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2008 - 10:01 AM

No, there are no titanium springs older than '06. It looks fishy from here.

• srfdwg2

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:18 PM

dj,where did you get it done at?

• DPW

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:02 PM

dang some big air in that pic...big triple?

• djtroy

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:05 AM

dj,where did you get it done at?

Im not going to say that on here without talking to him.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Im not going to say that on here without talking to him.

:smirk:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:20 AM

DJ I went from a stock Ti 5.5 kg to 5.6 Ti springs bought from Yami GYTR along with .48s for the front for a weight of 200-205. The Stock 5.5 has a pink mark at bottom the 5.6 Ti yami spring has a white mark on bottom of shock. For your weight a 5.7 is the ticket with .49s front
geez as high as your flying a 5.7 may be better especially since you went with .49 springs in front. typically 5.6 matches up with .48s - you may find the 5.6 is not enough to balance the 4.9s
The Ti from Yami is about 345.00 cost or 499 from Procircuit

Tell the tuner what your concerns are - if reputable he will make it right

• RCannon

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:33 AM

One of the Yamaha manuals I have also says the pink dot on the spring represents length. Most of the springs from them have had a pink dot on them since 98. This can be nice to know when someone offers a 5.6 for sale on ebay but the rest of the paint dots tell you its a 5.1.

• djtroy

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:04 AM

DJ I went from a stock Ti 5.5 kg to 5.6 Ti springs bought from Yami GYTR along with .48s for the front for a weight of 200-205. The Stock 5.5 has a pink mark at bottom the 5.6 Ti yami spring has a white mark on bottom of shock. For your weight a 5.7 is the ticket with .49s front
geez as high as your flying a 5.7 may be better especially since you went with .49 springs in front. typically 5.6 matches up with .48s - you may find the 5.6 is not enough to balance the 4.9s
The Ti from Yami is about 345.00 cost or 499 from Procircuit

Tell the tuner what your concerns are - if reputable he will make it right

Thanks for the insight buddy. I will tell him I need a 5.7 and see if he will order it like he was supposed too.
Why cant people just be honest. You have no idea how many times it seems like I get the run around from dealers and guys in the business. After all these years of riding I still don't have anyone I can trust. For all I know he didn't even revalve them. Whos to really know for sure?

I noticed Factory Connection was sending out free shipping boxes with bubble wrap included. I would have sent them there if I knew it was a painless process.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.