'99 or '08 ? Worth the cake?

2 replies to this topic
  • Yamafun

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:39 PM

My brother in law has a '99 WR400. Anyone know about what he might sell it for - good shape - stock. OR should he pony up and buy a new '07 , '08 and keep the old bike for back up...? Are there major diffrences b/t the two?

Any ideas would be great...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:01 PM

major differences.... 99 is a powerful brute :smirk:

07' - 08' is very nimble, lower center of gravity, e-start, auto decomp, ultra reliable, and so on, and so on...

If he wants a new bike he should stick with a WR. The 99' is not really the kinda bike you loan to your buddy that has never ridden before :) but a cool back up bike I suppose

• bhiggins25

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:04 PM

Even in great shape, '98-'99-'00 Yamaha four-strokes are bringing only around $2200 these days in my neck of the woods. Even though (in California, at least) the green sticker makes them more attractive, the used bike market is definitely depressed, and buyers tend to be leery of four-strokes of that vintage.

If it really is in very good condition, there's a strong case to be made for keeping it, rather than dropping $6500 - $7000 on a new bike. The WR400s were almost XRish with respect to reliability, and made ample power.

There's a big difference between the '99 and '08, but only you (or your brother-in-law, I guess) can decide whether that difference is worth an outlay of almost five grand. For me, a lot would depend on how pristine the '99 is, and how much I actually plan to ride either bike.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.