reviews for 2000 WR400???????

Riders,

I am a new rider and looking at buying a 2000 WR400 in really solid shape for $2000. My question is this...............how do these bike rate when it comes to maintenance, durability, reputation, etc. I have been told that this was (I think) the first year of the WR400 as a "higher class" enduro or trail style bike. Any known problems with this bike or year?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

actually 98 was the first year. i have a 99 wr400f. had good luck out of it. just change the oil regularly and maintain the air filter. and you might want to check into a new timing chain for one that old. just to be safe. also, if you are a new rider, ease in to that bike. the wr 400's have a lot of power.

I thought WRs became 426's in 2000...still had SS valves ('01's up got Ti). Only issue with the 98-00 WR400/426's was a bit of a clutch problem. A few 01 up parts solves it. Also the 426's had larger small end rod bearings than the 400s.

Overall, it doesn't matter if it's a 98-02 400/426, the bikes are really, really similar, really really reliable, and really really fun. If it doesn't already have the 03 YZ450 cam mod, do it. It makes a really really good bike great!

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a 1999 wr 400f, great bike on the dirt, runs out of gears too quick on the road. Puts a smile on my face though. I think I better change the oil tomorrow, after reading all the posts about it.

I'm also looking at getting a '00 WR400 and was wondering if the problem with the breather tube sucking sand and water affects the 400's as well or is it only the newer 450's??

Thought this might be an appropriate thread to ask this question...

Thanks

I got my '00 WR400 from a buddy who bought it new and raced enduros for 4 years. He had problems with the cam chain adjuster at first, but warranty made it good, no problems after that. He had the top end and a valve job done on it just before I bought it. I've been trail riding it for 3 years and have had only a leaky fork seal. I have heard reports that the carb slide can come apart and the pieces sucked into the engine, so an inspection and/or replacement of the slide might be in order just to be safe. As for the breather tube, you can reroute it to a higher location and put a filter on it.

I have the 200 WR 400 an it rock's! Never ever had a problem. I moved the breather tube up behind the headlight with a filter on it, I also did all the free mod's to. This spring I want to do the auto decompress cam. Other than that I just ride. Oh yea I also have the FMF power bome header an Q2 exhaust. Very quiet

• 9 years later...

I don't know much about these bikes and only recently bought one in scrap condition that I plan on rebuilding. But from what I've heard, they are extremely reliable if well maintained. While i was looking for parts for it, I met a guy that basically runs a bike scrap yard for wr's and yz's in his back yard, and he says that the most common problem with them is dropped valves cause people don't always start it from tdc which for some reason makes the piston collide with the steel valves if they warped after a long, hard ride and after a while, starting like this starts to take a toll on the timing. But as long as you start it in the right way, this problem shouldn't happen