2006 YZ450F Pipe Glow Question

14 replies to this topic
  • jsgriffey1

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:37 PM

I have a 2006 YZ 450F. I purchased a FMF 4.1 slip-on for an 07 and fabricated a spacer to accommodate the mid pipe to head pipe difference(Head 1.5 Mid 1.75) and placed a ready air filter on the bike. By doing this I have leaned the bike out and the head pipe is turning RED. I need to adjust the fuel screw to reduce the pipe glow but not sure where it is located. I tried adjusting the idle screw (Large Straight Way Head Screw On The Lt Side) to eliminate it but I was unsuccessful. The glow reduced didn't completely go away, but the bike will not idle, run and cuts out when I hit the throttle. Can someone tell me exactly where the fuel screw is located so I can correct this problem?

Elevation 707 to 1447

Thanks
Jimmy

• djtroy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:55 PM

I think this is normal that the pipe turns red. I have an adjustable air screw for my carb up under the float bowl for some tweaking when the air temps get hot or cold outside.

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Let's start at the beginning. You did not lean the engine out with your mods.

Second, the pipe will NORMALLY glow red if you let the bike idle long enough, and it only takes about two minutes.

The picture on page 3-17 of your manual shows where the pilot screw is (you adjusted the idle speed screw) and describes the adjustment process.

• nap__kxf

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:01 PM

its just getting hot, the header isn't cooled by anything except when you're moving (i.e. riding) so naturally it will start glowing after enough time. it only takes a few minutes.

• jsgriffey1

Posted March 01, 2008 - 03:18 AM

So this is normal! Maybe I never noticed it with the stock pipe. It just seemed to me the Glow is more intense and that is why I noticed it. Thanks for your help guys, I greatly appreciate it. I do not have a manual (Didn't receive it when I purchased the bike) grayracer513 that is why I am not sure of the location but thanks for the page reference.

• King_Air

Posted March 01, 2008 - 04:22 AM

Take a look at the second sticky at the top of this forum that is titled "Common Threads". You will find a downloadable manual and a wealth of information on YZF's.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 01, 2008 - 05:21 AM

Ahhhh, "glowing pipe memories"......

I remember when I brought home my spanking new 2002 WR250F and started doing engine heat cycles letting the engine idle.... whenever I saw my header glowing cherry red for the first time, I absolutely flipped out in panic !!! I thought the exhaust was plugged, I thought the carb floats were stuck letting raw fuel in the pipe, I thought my brand new bike was overheating.....

A frantic call to Yamaha tech support said the glowing pipe was perfectly normal for an ideling engine. The header pipes (in 02') was a super thinwall 304 stainless steel header pipe.... WHEW..., that was a relief !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:26 AM

show us the pix gray.... have not seen it in a while
welcome to tt jimmy the best site around for our bikes

• King_Air

Posted March 01, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Ahhhh, "glowing pipe memories"......

I remember when I brought home my spanking new 2002 WR250F and started doing engine heat cycles letting the engine idle.... whenever I saw my header glowing cherry red for the first time, I absolutely flipped out in panic !!! I thought the exhaust was plugged, I thought the carb floats were stuck letting raw fuel in the pipe, I thought my brand new bike was overheating.....

A frantic call to Yamaha tech support said the glowing pipe was perfectly normal for an ideling engine. The header pipes (in 02') was a super thinwall 304 stainless steel header pipe.... WHEW..., that was a relief !

Yep, even though I had read about it here the first time I saw it for myself was almost the same as your reaction.

I could look at the picture again too Gray!!!

• matts06yzf

Posted March 01, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Go ahead Gray show him the pic you have to.:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2008 - 07:36 PM

You never get tired of it, do you?

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted March 01, 2008 - 07:46 PM

not yet anyway !!!!!!

• jsgriffey1

Posted March 02, 2008 - 07:39 AM

Damn!!! and I thought I had a problem. Thanks guys for all of your feedback.

• todds924

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:41 PM

That always brings a smile to my face too!!!!

• TWOWHEELTOM

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:55 PM

Thats the first time I have seen that pic, thats damn funny!! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.