Try again :rolleyes: Grenaded XL650 countershaft

8 replies to this topic
  • Bermudacat

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:29 PM

My buddies 2003 XL650 grenaded the countershaft under the countersprocket at aprox. 27k miles. It was ridden hard but maintained well.

Is this unusual? How many miles on your XL?

Please do not interperate this thread as an opportunity to buy a used XL as that would be against forum rules. :)

If he decides to sell his bike it will be on Craigslist or the 'For Sale' forum on thumpertalk. :smirk:

Thank you.

• cleonard

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:28 PM

My buddies 2003 XL650 grenaded the countershaft under the countersprocket at aprox. 27k miles. It was ridden hard but maintained well.

Is this unusual? How many miles on your XL?

Please do not interperate this thread as an opportunity to buy a used XL as that would be against forum rules. :)

If he decides to sell his bike it will be on Craigslist or the 'For Sale' forum on thumpertalk. :smirk:

Thank you.

What do you mean by "grenaded?" Did the splines strip on the countershaft where the sprocket goes?

If so. it's not all that un heard of. The consensus is that bad sprockets can make it happen faster.

It's not all that hard to replace, but you do have to split the cases. Not good for an unexperienced home bike mechanic. It's a $90 or sh shaft and another $90 or so gasket kit. Beyond that at 27k it likely needs new rings and possibly a piston and it would be good to have the valves looked at.

It's a good opportunity to drop in a high comp piston and a cam. It will be a different bike when done.

• Bermudacat

Posted March 01, 2008 - 10:07 AM

What do you mean by "grenaded?" Did the splines strip on the countershaft where the sprocket goes?

Yes I did. Sorry for not being clear.

If so. it's not all that un heard of. The consensus is that bad sprockets can make it happen faster.

Poor quality replacement? Brand? Installation? It's quite likely that this was the cause.

It's not all that hard to replace, but you do have to split the cases. Not good for an unexperienced home bike mechanic. It's a $90 or sh shaft and another $90 or so gasket kit. Beyond that at 27k it likely needs new rings and possibly a piston and it would be good to have the valves looked at.

It's a good opportunity to drop in a high comp piston and a cam. It will be a different bike when done.

Interesting assesment of the top-end, thank you.

He's not a bad mechanic, but he's never split a case before. Basically, with work and a family of four, he'd rather not spend a weekend wrenching with other family pressures. Apparently labor is around $1,500 but we didn't know parts cost so thank for that update.

I'll urge him to go the repair route as you've suggested.

Thanks again! :smirk:

Any one able to reccomend a good shop in Western Washington?

• martinfan30

Posted March 01, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Motosportsman lives up there, try PM'ing him.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted March 01, 2008 - 09:39 PM

i wouldnt be so quick to just throw in the towel like CLEO said, check around and pm MOTO like martin said, maybe you can get some help locally and not have to pay an arm and leg. GL i hope you can get r fixed. theres another in WA ill find his name ive seen him B4

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted March 01, 2008 - 10:02 PM

I just recently did a bottom up rebuild on my L. Replaced the counter shaft and both sides of third gear while I was in there to fix a poorly done piston install by the previous owner. Not all that hard of a task, just takes some time. Let me know if you need any help.

Oh and any chance you are a member of pnwriders.com?

• XR250rdr

Posted March 01, 2008 - 10:08 PM

If I was closer I'd offer to do the work at a good rate. I certainly have the time at the moment.

• Bermudacat

Posted March 02, 2008 - 12:12 PM

I just recently did a bottom up rebuild on my L. Replaced the counter shaft and both sides of third gear while I was in there to fix a poorly done piston install by the previous owner. Not all that hard of a task, just takes some time. Let me know if you need any help.

Oh and any chance you are a member of pnwriders.com?

That's a generous offer, thanks.

I'm not but I should probably check it out. I find myself with weekdays off quite often.

• EarlT

Posted March 11, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Replaced countershaft &both sides of third gear

Why did you Replace the Countershaft
& Both sides of Third Gear ?

Is that a Weak point of the XR's?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.