Looking for a WIDER seat for my 99 YZ400

4 replies to this topic
  • whalerboy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:19 PM

Well, I've been looking around everywhere, and having no luck, I've decided to throw my question to the masses, here goes.

I have a 99 YZ400 that I have converted into a street legal supermoto, and while the bike is a blast to ride, it is a real pain in the butt, literally. The stock seat is hard and narrow, a painful combination for my backside. I ordered an SGD Tall seat, and it has helped, but I think the problem is the narrow width. I've checked with SDG, and GUTS racing and I still haven't been able to find anybody who make a wider seat, everything seemd to be just taller.

I saw the light when I rode a buddy's RMZ450, that seat is at least 1.5" wider than mine and it seemed to make all the difference in the world.

So anybody know where I could find such a seat? I'm not adverse to getting foam and doing it myself, but I would think that finding the right seat cover to go over the wider foam would be an issue. Before I just say "screw it" and take it to an automotive upholstery place and get soaked making it the way I want.

Thanks!!

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:30 PM

i took mine to an upholstery shop and had mine re done.. best thing i have done to my 400. he took 1 inch of the hard foam out and put 2 inchs of a softer foam in it and wow..... you can actually set on it and it is pretty nice.
click on my garage and look at the seat with the white tank , you really cant tell that much diff..
jay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whalerboy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:34 PM

i took mine to an upholstery shop and had mine re done.. best thing i have done to my 400. he took 1 inch of the hard foam out and put 2 inchs of a softer foam in it and wow..... you can actually set on it and it is pretty nice.
click on my garage and look at the seat with the white tank , you really cant tell that much diff..
jay

Seat looks great. I you don't mind me asking, what did the guy charge you?? Just wondering (ballpark) what I'm gonna be looking at to make this bike easier on the ass!!

Thanks!

• jayh300

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:49 PM

well..... he is a friend of mine an actually did not charge me at all. it is way better that the 2x4 ish seat it came with.
i would think you could get it done in the 30 - 40 dollar range
but that would be a guess. he did mine while i was there on my lunch hour, so it was not that time consuming.
good luck
jay

• Speedracer747-400

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:41 PM

Try giving Corbin a call. Maybe they can custom make you something. They make a wider seat for the 03-06 WR250/450F.

http://www.corbin.co...ha/wr250f.shtml

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.