06 yz450 carb problem

11 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:12 AM

The jetting on this bike has been spot on. The problem now is that it will stall right off idle. I was sure I had a clogged pilot jet but after a complete carb cleaning I still have the same problem. I am running a 42 pilot which is on the lean side but it has been running fine. Adjusting the fuel screw makes no difference. Could I be having a excellerator pump problem. How would I check?

While moving it will stall when the throttle is opened in 1st gear. At high and mid rpm it runs fine and it will idle. I am fairly sure it is a fuel problem but I dont think it is a jetting problem. Any ideas?

thks

• YZfamily

Posted February 29, 2008 - 03:33 PM

I installed a Boyseen QS 2 and it solved that problem for me.

• todds924

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:43 PM

The jetting on this bike has been spot on. The problem now is that it will stall right off idle. I was sure I had a clogged pilot jet but after a complete carb cleaning I still have the same problem. I am running a 42 pilot which is on the lean side but it has been running fine. Adjusting the fuel screw makes no difference. Could I be having a excellerator pump problem. How would I check?

While moving it will stall when the throttle is opened in 1st gear. At high and mid rpm it runs fine and it will idle. I am fairly sure it is a fuel problem but I dont think it is a jetting problem. Any ideas?

thks

Try pulling your float bowl off and making sure your leak jet is clean..also the passageway the leak jet screws into. Double check your pilot also, even though it looks clean it could be partially clogged.

• gdbarr1976

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have another 06 450 with a quick shot so I swapped it out. No help. I put a 48 pilot in from a 42 and again blew out all the jets. No help. Finally I swapped complete carbs. No change.

This is what it does. It will run fine till it gets hot. Then it will stall right off idle. It acts lean but only after it gets hot. With the choke on it will run ok but rich. So it is not the ignition and since I swapped carbs with no change it is not the jetting or anything else in the carb.

I am thinking it is a air leak. I tightened the hose clamp on the carb with no change. I am not sure were to go from here. HELP! This is my sons motor and we are heading to a enduro tomorrow.

tks

• 1st450

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:44 PM

i have the same bike and it seems to do the same thing if i dont change the oil everyother ride. when was the last time you changed the oil?

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 01, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Oil is fresh.

Could tite exaust valves be the problem? I have replaced the intakes but not the exausts. If the exausts were hanging open would that not let in air and would it not get worse as it heats up and they expand?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdbarr1976

Posted March 01, 2008 - 09:44 AM

The exhaust valve was a little tite, fixed that but no help. Goes lean when it gets hot. Anybody??

• Norman

Posted March 01, 2008 - 02:59 PM

You might post in the jetting forum and see if Eddie can offer any advise.

• racegmc

Posted March 01, 2008 - 03:28 PM

I had the same problem. Come to find out I had put to much oil on my air filter after I cleaned it.

• todds924

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have another 06 450 with a quick shot so I swapped it out. No help. I put a 48 pilot in from a 42 and again blew out all the jets. No help. Finally I swapped complete carbs. No change.

This is what it does. It will run fine till it gets hot. Then it will stall right off idle. It acts lean but only after it gets hot. With the choke on it will run ok but rich. So it is not the ignition and since I swapped carbs with no change it is not the jetting or anything else in the carb.

I am thinking it is a air leak. I tightened the hose clamp on the carb with no change. I am not sure were to go from here. HELP! This is my sons motor and we are heading to a enduro tomorrow.

tks

You need to check your VALVE clearance...sounds like a tight valve

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:00 PM

The problem was a bad ignition. After about 5 min it would advance the timing at idle which made it seem that it was running lean. Swapped out the black box, runs perfect.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:33 PM

You mean retard? Advancing the timing speeds the engine up. Retarding slows it down and makes it feel flat, much like as if it were lean.

Interesting though. Don't see many CDI's fail.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.