2000 WR 400 exhust question??

10 replies to this topic
  • headhunter622

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:11 AM

I am very new to this and just got a WR 400 after selling my KLX 650 5 years ago and excited about this thumper talk, lots of sweet info. Gets the cabin fever running and the itch to ride.

My question is what yz exhaust systems will fit on the 2000 WR 400? I found a deal on a 2004 yz 450 system will that one fit?

• matt4x4

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:45 AM

OK, here's what I know from my research on exhausts, For SURE, 98-03 will fit on the 2000, even though 03 got the aluminum subframe, the mounting points are still identical.

As for 04, at worst, your mounting point will be off some on the subframe, this can be fixed though. BUT - I just finished looking at the microfiche on the bikes, and the 04 exhaust according to that is physically identical to the older exhausts and the physical appearance changed in 05, so by rights, the 04 exhaust should fit without modification. At worst, all you'd need to do is to weld a plate onto the existing mounting bracket and re-drill at a slightly offset location.

I just got a White Brothers E exhaust - supertrapp style for my 2000WR, and can let you know what I think in about 1.5 to 2 months time when I first fire it up for the season. I'm pretty sure the exhaust also wasn't for the 2000 since it looks just like Frostbite's but is about 2-3" longer (and no, already asked, Frostbite didn't cut his down).

If someone can make this fit, I'm sure you can make a newer YZF exhaust fit a WR.:(Stolen from pic threads)
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:58 AM

I am very new to this and just got a WR 400 after selling my KLX 650 5 years ago and excited about this thumper talk, lots of sweet info. Gets the cabin fever running and the itch to ride.

My question is what yz exhaust systems will fit on the 2000 WR 400? I found a deal on a 2004 yz 450 system will that one fit?

A couple of months ago I bought a WR 450 muffler for my 99 WR 400. It slipped right on the stock 400 headpipe with it bolted to the frame with no drilling required. I don't know how different the WR and YZ pipes are, but the E brothers pipe I put on my 400 was for a YZ, and it bolted right up.

• Frostbite

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:02 AM

I'm pretty sure the exhaust also wasn't for the 2000 since it looks just like Frostbite's but is about 2-3" longer (and no, already asked, Frostbite didn't cut his down).

If someone can make this fit, I'm sure you can make a newer YZF exhaust fit a WR.:(Stolen from pic threads)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sure, this looks ultra trick, but is it quiet? :smirk:

Matt, I just remembered that my E pipe was for a YZ, maybe that's why it looks shortened. it's a bit shorter than the Honda works muffler in the above pic.

• headhunter622

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Thanks a bunch for the info guys I think 50 bucks for a stock (never used) 04 yz pipe and headpipe should make it breath a little better.

Thanks again for the info on this greatly appreciated...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:54 AM

it's a bit shorter than the Honda works muffler in the above pic.

Frostbite - that's some funny shit right there!!

The "works" muffler was installed because buddy was getting flack about noise from his neighbours supposedly, it worked well with little noticeable power loss.

YZ E series - That would likely explain the difference in length.

• Frostbite

Posted February 29, 2008 - 03:13 PM

Frostbite - that's some funny shit right there!!

The "works" muffler was installed because buddy was getting flack about noise from his neighbours supposedly, it worked well with little noticeable power loss.

YZ E series - That would likely explain the difference in length.

Haha, that is a great picture!:smirk:

When I ordered my pipe, they substituted the YZ pipe for the WR because of backorder, they didn't think it would matter much, and it didn't seem to.

• Birdy426

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info guys I think 50 bucks for a stock (never used) 04 yz pipe and headpipe should make it breath a little better.

Thanks again for the info on this greatly appreciated...

You will notice a HUGE difference over the stock WR can. The bike will rev noticably quicker.

• headhunter622

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Sweet thanks for the input I just bought it and its on its way cant wait to check out the differance between the two.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:21 PM

I ride a 2001 WR 426 and from 99-02 the yz and the wr parts are identical and interchangeable. Now beyond that, i am not sure if yz and wr's are identical or even similar. Did you do the grey wire disconnect?

• headhunter622

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:32 PM

I just got the owners manual and looked at the diagram and there was some talk on here about canadian WR's not having the grey wire. By the looks of the diagram that came with it there is no grey wire and the diagram is defferent than ones I have seen on other threads on here. I have not had a chance to take it apart but will look for it but not expecting to find one by the looks of the wireing diagram... But who knows maybe its there???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.