GD Mod bugs!!

13 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Just a few observations after my latest battery mod.

As I pulled out onto the street to take a left this morn. , I found my left turn sig. stays on solid. Right turn is norm.

It also seems to be running richer, obviously. Has a slight bog off the bottom. I drilled four 1 1/2" holes in the side panel, but think I may need more.

Its ALWAYS something!:smirk:

• ghrati ghoti

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:57 AM

I would take the right side cover off and drill some holes in that side of the airbox too.

• Denn10

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:04 AM

yeah thats a good idea! hows she start in the cold mornings with the oil nice n thick???

• Norge

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:00 AM

I do want to thank you for being the guinea (sp?) pig on this project.

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:20 AM

yeah thats a good idea! hows she start in the cold mornings with the oil nice n thick???

No prob.! I forgot to turn on my petcock this morning(29 deg. F.) and probably cranked it for 10-12 seconds.. With NO drop in cranking speed!! Way better than the stocker.

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:21 AM

I do want to thank you for being the guinea (sp?) pig on this project.

No prob, I really enjoy this stuff. Especially as I refine it over time, and others become interested.

I cant take full credit, thanks to Kubiak at 4strokes.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:18 PM

what is the mod?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Look below this thread.

• Bermudacat

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:13 PM

As I pulled out onto the street to take a left this morn. , I found my left turn sig. stays on solid. Right turn is norm.

Its ALWAYS something!:)

Time to pull out the multimeter! :smirk:

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:34 PM

Time to pull out the multimeter! :smirk:

Yeah , pretty much. I'm sure its as simple as a pinched wire that happened when I re-routed everything.

• martinfan30

Posted March 02, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Well I found it. When I put the seat back on, the seat disconnected the orange wire from the front turn to the rear turn.:smirk:

All better !

You know, I recomend the crf450x battery for you other L guys. Smaller and lighter.

Posted Image

• absynth01

Posted March 02, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Martin you running a hotcam, and hi-comp piston? I had to go to a higher amp L battery, but would love to shed that battery box!! Seems she doesn't like to crank much with the mods. Thought about looking into a different starter, but haven't looked around yet.

• martinfan30

Posted March 02, 2008 - 01:23 PM

Hey absynth, just the hotcam(as you know, no decompressor). Even with the crf battery, it cranks faster than the stock battery/stock cam ever did! It has 130 cca compared to the stock 120. Rated at 6aH compared to stock 8aH.

Ive cranked it over for 15 seconds at least, with the kill switch on and it really didnt drop in cranking speed much. I cant see adding a 10.5:1 piston would affect it much.

• absynth01

Posted March 02, 2008 - 02:05 PM

As soon as the snow is gone here that is something I'm gonna have to look at. I had a new gel battery in the L, but 10sec is sure to drain er. I checked all the wiring for the starter and everything on this bike is clean. I bought the gel last year thinking the battery that came with it was going bad. Wasn't the case but wanted a gel battery anyway. It's been in rotation on my smart charger, and always tests fine. In a couple weeks I will be pulling the finished L out for a rip!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.