Master link safety wire

18 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:35 AM

When I purchased my new chain, I also ordered a spare M.link. It came with a small roll of fine wire. I assume its to safety wire the link?

Whats the best way to go about this?

• Denn10

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:38 AM

whew i dont know about that, ive never seen a safety wire style link?? Got any pics

HEY found this scroll down to bottom when it talks about C Clip master links then theres a pic of safety wire wrapped around the c clip style??? Never seen that

http://faq.ninja250....lace_the_chain?

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Thats interesting...

I am dumb :smirk: though...

I wasnt looking close enough until I opened the package. The four o ring were stacked and tied together!:)

In the package, it looked like a small roll of safety wire...

• Troy_Bell

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:01 AM

HEY found this scroll down to bottom when it talks about C Clip master links then theres a pic of safety wire wrapped around the c clip style??? Never seen that

Me neither. I get the idea, but I just don't think it would last on an off-road bike.

• Denn10

Posted February 29, 2008 - 09:56 AM

Me neither. I get the idea, but I just don't think it would last on an off-road bike.

i dont worry about c clip master links cuz if you install them correctly, note how he orientated it, clip facing to the rear as you look at that pic. That makes the round end go thru the chain guide first and keeps it from coming off. If you have a clip thats not bent or warped it will stay on fine and in many years of racing MX i have never had a clip come off, IVE actually forgoten to install the clip and the chain still didnt come apart DOH:bonk:

Never seen the safety wire on the link but theres a first for everything JUST like MARTIN finally paying attention to his stupid master link :smirk: get-it-right GET-IT-TIGHT!!!!

• Smoke Eater

Posted February 29, 2008 - 01:03 PM

I always safety wire clip style masterlinks. I road race though and safety wire nearly everything. I makes me feel good knowing that nothing will wiggle loose. Chains are another thing. If you don't get a rivet master then you should wire the clip. It's ugly when they come apart.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Old school guys used to run safety wire around the back of the top plate and over the clip then tie.

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:32 PM

So I gather its really not all that necessary with modern chains?

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:43 PM

So I gather its really not all that necessary with modern chains?

Not at all, the wire was supposed to hold the Orings in your package.:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • surfer

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:49 PM

:smirk:

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:53 PM

:smirk:

The reason I started this thread was my own fault for not looking close enough at the package. The o rings when just glanced at look like a small roll of fine wire.

My mistake...

• philipstjohn

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:16 PM

A clip Master Link is asking for trouble with the big torque bikes. If you have to run a clip master link the safety wire should be a must, even with the "L"..hahaha:ride: :smirk: .

• XR250rdr

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:44 PM

i dont worry about c clip master links cuz if you install them correctly, note how he orientated it, clip facing to the rear as you look at that pic. That makes the round end go thru the chain guide first and keeps it from coming off. If you have a clip thats not bent or warped it will stay on fine and in many years of racing MX i have never had a clip come off, IVE actually forgoten to install the clip and the chain still didnt come apart DOH:bonk:

Never seen the safety wire on the link but theres a first for everything JUST like MARTIN finally paying attention to his stupid master link :smirk: get-it-right GET-IT-TIGHT!!!!

I had one come off the chain on my CR a while back. I happened to notice while washing the bike.

• philipstjohn

Posted March 02, 2008 - 05:00 AM

The owner's manual of the XR650R says to not use a clip master link. My guess is that an "L" owner's manual states the same. I am not saying I would not use one in an emergency, but I would not replace the original staked master link chain with a clip master link chain. :smirk:

• Smoke Eater

Posted March 02, 2008 - 06:26 AM

You are certainly better off using a rivet link but they can be a pain in the ass. You definately need the right tool. Motion Pro makes good chain tools.

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 12:34 PM

if about every 450 in the market today still comes with one installed i doubt that most 600s/650s have more torque than they do for the average bike and they dont have a problem with them. 500s came with them and never a problem, people raced with them for many years and if they were a problem they wouldnt make them still today. THE problem is people dont replace them until after they have a problem, and they bend or abuse them going on and off, hammers and screwdrivers that catch just one side of the clip, thats what causes the problems with clip style master links. But thats about like anything if you dont check it out and replace when you should your just asking for problems.

SO for you guys that have clip links on any bike just pay attention to if there bent or loose fitting when your working with them and install in the correct direction and it will help eliminate careless problems. Me personally I will use them on about any dirt bike without worrying about them coming off, but thats just me.

• martinfan30

Posted March 02, 2008 - 12:43 PM

if about every 450 in the market today still comes with one installed i doubt that most 600s/650s have more torque than they do for the average bike and they dont have a problem with them. 500s came with them and never a problem, people raced with them for many years and if they were a problem they wouldnt make them still today. THE problem is people dont replace them until after they have a problem, and they bend or abuse them going on and off, hammers and screwdrivers that catch just one side of the clip, thats what causes the problems with clip style master links. But thats about like anything if you dont check it out and replace when you should your just asking for problems.

SO for you guys that have clip links on any bike just pay attention to if there bent or loose fitting when your working with them and install in the correct direction and it will help eliminate careless problems. Me personally I will use them on about any dirt bike without worrying about them coming off, but thats just me.

Ok, thats good enough for me.

• jetfuel

Posted March 02, 2008 - 04:49 PM

I agree 100% Denn I've run them on every big bore I've owned and have never had one fail.
Also as you said an occasional Inspection is the key along with proper installation.
I have had them wear thin from the occasional tweaked chain guide but thats it.

• Denn10

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:36 PM

just orientate like this pic shows that way when it runs through the chain guide it doent grab the clip. Im sure some have thrown it on any old way.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.