WR426f Timing nightmare continues... Finally FIXED!!!

53 replies to this topic
  • Reedus

Posted March 07, 2008 - 05:59 PM

Maybe, just maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

How far in does that woodruff key sit on the shaft? I looks to me like it is sheared, but maybe not? How do you get the damn thing off. I tried a punch and a hammer and it won't budge. Is this the culprit for the out of time cams? My eyes tell me yes, but...:thumbsup:

• CORider63

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:05 PM

Sure looks like it has spun. You might try some 3-in-1 oil and a little heat on the shaft. Just don't burn up any seals.

• yzf426rider2000

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:54 PM

i have i 2000 yzf few problems. its super hard to start 2: when it starts it back fires and flames come out of the pipe 3: it won't idle and i have to play with the throttle to keep it going now i'm new to this bike any idea i need help and whats the red switch and the black switch on the carb for i know one of them are a choke but which one thank u

• maxtherat

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:05 PM

i have i 2000 yzf few problems. its super hard to start 2: when it starts it back fires and flames come out of the pipe 3: it won't idle and i have to play with the throttle to keep it going now i'm new to this bike any idea i need help and whats the red switch and the black switch on the carb for i know one of them are a choke but which one thank u

Pull the pilot jet from the carb and clean or replace it. Problem solved!

• maxtherat

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:12 PM

PS Since you are a newb, the first hijack may be forgiven. When you get on the forum you want click the botton that says new thread.

• Matt James

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

How far in does that woodruff key sit on the shaft? I looks to me like it is sheared, but maybe not? How do you get the damn thing off. I tried a punch and a hammer and it won't budge. Is this the culprit for the out of time cams? My eyes tell me yes, but...:thumbsup:

I usually use a pair of dykes to grab it. Don't use heat, both the crank and key are steel with the same thermal expansion coeffient so it does no good.
From the pics it appears that the flywheel was put on mis-aligned to the woodruff key and smashed with the flywheel taper, judging from the burnishing across the entire top. It does not appear to be sheared because it would be flush with the taper.

Because the key was not aligned your TDC indicator was incorrect which could account for all your valve timing dilemma. From all that has gone on you really need to get someone with some motor building experience to determine your problem. If you can't do that, put a new key in and make sure it is lined up with the slot in the flywheel before you torque it down. Then retime your cams and you may be lucky. If that does not work you get a 5 dollar degree wheel at an auto parts store and adapt it to your crank and do it the right way. Again, good luck

• Frostbite

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Be careful not to beat on the crank too much, you don't want to knock it out of alignment. The key only sits down about 1/8" to 3/16", but it's a perfect fit and the mash is causing additional interference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reedus

Posted March 08, 2008 - 08:21 PM

Wow, finally got the bike running and it wan't the spun cam like I thought. The fly wheel had spun, god knows how, and thrown off the timing mark so I thought I was at TDC, but wasn't quite. After a new woodruff key and corrected timing, she fired right up. Anyhow, props a million to all you champs who helped me through this one. Definitely couldn't have done it without your help and advice.

Reedus

• YELL-OSNAKE

Posted March 08, 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hooray, congrats, That was my FIRST thought, but you had said it was good, glad you double checked.:thumbsup: :eek:

• Reedus

Posted March 08, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Ya, I thought it was good since the flywheel will only slip into place with the key slot lined up with the woodruff key. I think it sheared the first time I forgot the circlip in the piston and had to replace the entire topend. The second time, I took off the flywheel to fetch a dropped shim in the cam chain area and must have thought that the key slipped into the slot on the flywheel, when in reality, there wan't enough key there to guide it into place. Oh well. Lots of lessons learned on this experience

• maxtherat

Posted March 08, 2008 - 09:36 PM

Glad to hear you got it!!!

• Frostbite

Posted March 09, 2008 - 03:32 AM

Glad to hear you're back in business.:thumbsup:

• CORider63

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:40 AM

"There's no need to fear; ThumperTalk is here!"

I'm very glad to hear that you're back in business! The wealth of knowledge that exists on ThumperTalk never ceases to amaze me. (Well, outside of Town Square, anyway. :thumbsup:)

• dirtysouth

Posted March 09, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Yyeeeeeeee Hhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.